cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking mirrored volume with active I/O

KaForce
Level 2

Hi All,

I have been using VSF for a while to accommodate data migrations with great success. I am about to break all of the recent mirrors I created to migrate from one array to another. The only thing I want to do this time is do the break while there is active I/O. In particular, Exchange 2003. I am of the opinion that the I/0 will continue to write to the new array once I pull away the volume associated with the old array.

Any gotchas I should be aware of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This should work fine - adding a mirror to new array and then dropping mirror on old array is common place for migrating to new array whilst application is online.

You may have some small DCM or DCO objects which are small bitmaps to help syncing mirrors, but I imagine if you do, these will be removed automatically when you remove mirror - if not, then you can just remove these unless you have any remaining mirrors (if you have 2 new arrays or you mirror within array using SFW).

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This should work fine - adding a mirror to new array and then dropping mirror on old array is common place for migrating to new array whilst application is online.

You may have some small DCM or DCO objects which are small bitmaps to help syncing mirrors, but I imagine if you do, these will be removed automatically when you remove mirror - if not, then you can just remove these unless you have any remaining mirrors (if you have 2 new arrays or you mirror within array using SFW).

Mike