cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the Mirror Disk for MS-Cluster?

piyaboot
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Dear All

My Environment is
MS-Windows 2003 Ent 32bit + Storage Foundation 5.0
Local Disk for C: 50GB
Local Disk for D: 86GB
LUN SAN #1 = 300GB
LUN SAN #2 = 300GB

I use Storage Foundation 5.0 to create the mirror disk (LUN SAN #1 and #2)
It's working good.

Then I have plan to make the Windows 2003 Cluster by Windows Cluster Service
I heard that the dynamic disk (not use Veritas Disk Management, it can do the Dynamic Disk and make Mirror Volume) can't use in Cluster Service

Can I use the Veritas File System that make Mirror Disk for MS-Windows Cluster 2003 Ent.

Best Regards
Piyaboot
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Katrin_R_ckbrod
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello Piyaboot,

we have successfully installed Windows 2003 Clusters with Storage Foundation and mirrored volumes. There is no problem. You must add the storage as veritas volume manager disk group and then in the properties add the dynamic disk group name. We only use the Windows file system NTFS.

Best regards
Katrin Rueckbrod

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Katrin_R_ckbrod
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello Piyaboot,

we have successfully installed Windows 2003 Clusters with Storage Foundation and mirrored volumes. There is no problem. You must add the storage as veritas volume manager disk group and then in the properties add the dynamic disk group name. We only use the Windows file system NTFS.

Best regards
Katrin Rueckbrod

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Plyaboot,

You will need to the MSCS option for SFW to use SFW Dynamic Diskgroups in a Windows 2003 Cluster Server. 

As Katrin stated SFW will allow mirrored volumes to be used in a cluster.
Thanks,
Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Plyaboot,

The Veritas FileSystem is only available in the Unix and Linux versions of Storage Foundation.  There is not Veritas File System avaialble for the Windows product line.

Thanks,
Wally

Michael_Black
Level 4
Employee
If you are asking if the cluster quorum can use a dynamic disk, the answer is yes.

Here is a technote that may be useful:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/317242