Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB2 with SFW comaptibility

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

I have a scenario where the customer is running DB2 on Windows platform and we need to replicate the DB2 data volumes to the DR site server. We will be using SFW with VVR option for doing this. But i am having a doubt whether this will work as DB2 is not listed under the SCL for SFW 5.1 SP1.... so will this work, will VVR replicate the data inside the volumes irrespective of the kind of data or this will not work due to compatibility issue? What does the SCL refer to when it talks about compatibility between the application and SFW, does it mean that the applications listed in the SCL only support the Veritas Volume Manager on Windows platform? ( which means if DB2 is not listed , then it does not support VVM on windows) Help is much appreciated as i am confused over this one.

Thanks,

Majid 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Majid,

The SCL is a list of applications that Symantec QA has tested with SFW.  There may have been some modifications to SFW to get these applciations to work with SFW or to take full advantage of SFW features(applications such as Exchange and SQL.)  DB2 not being listed does not mean that it will not work with SFW.  It just means that Symantec has not tested it.  SFW and DB2 should basically work together.  I would think that the biggest issue that you might come across would be with features such as snapshots not being able to communicate with DB2 to put it in the right state for snapshots.

With that said, VVR replicates volumes and it maintains write order fidelity with the volumes at the remote site.  Write oder fidelity ensures that writes to the volumes at VVR secondaries will be done in the same order as they were in the VVR primary site.  This is typically needed to databases and their logs to ensure they are both insync if an unexpected takeover is needed at the VVR secondary site. 

A VVR takeover if needed would be similar to a BSOD or unexpected reboot process.  Assuming that DB2 can self recover or manually recover this situation then VVR with DB2 should be fine.

The only thing that I can recommend for this setup is to ensure that your database volumes and logs volumes are in the same VVR replication data set.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Majid,

The SCL is a list of applications that Symantec QA has tested with SFW.  There may have been some modifications to SFW to get these applciations to work with SFW or to take full advantage of SFW features(applications such as Exchange and SQL.)  DB2 not being listed does not mean that it will not work with SFW.  It just means that Symantec has not tested it.  SFW and DB2 should basically work together.  I would think that the biggest issue that you might come across would be with features such as snapshots not being able to communicate with DB2 to put it in the right state for snapshots.

With that said, VVR replicates volumes and it maintains write order fidelity with the volumes at the remote site.  Write oder fidelity ensures that writes to the volumes at VVR secondaries will be done in the same order as they were in the VVR primary site.  This is typically needed to databases and their logs to ensure they are both insync if an unexpected takeover is needed at the VVR secondary site. 

A VVR takeover if needed would be similar to a BSOD or unexpected reboot process.  Assuming that DB2 can self recover or manually recover this situation then VVR with DB2 should be fine.

The only thing that I can recommend for this setup is to ensure that your database volumes and logs volumes are in the same VVR replication data set.

Thanks,

Wally