cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error v-52410-49479-150 running DR Wizard?

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

EDIT: This error number appears to be generic for the DRCW, as I figured out the DCM error and am now getting an issue with creating secondary RVGs. <sigh>

I've encountered this error which doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. I'm trying to re-run the DR Config Wizard on my primary node after it failed last week due to me missing a setting...

I get to the point in the wizard where it's ready to start running the configuration tasks, and it bombs on the first one with:

Error V-52410-49479-150 - The wizard failed to 'Attach DCM log on primary RVGs.'

It could very well be that this is occurring because the wizard got past this step last time, but I'm just not a savvy SFHA admin, got stuck with it when our admin quit!

Assistance appreciated,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

The problems all revolve around Windows 2008 and the fine (sarcasm) operating system that it is...

The storage agent bind issue was the result of Windows adding the NICs to the binding list in the reverse order. Cleaned that up, restarted all the proper services and the Storage Agent bound to the right IP.

The wizard crashing issue was due to the blasted built-in firewall. I had to add 4 explicit rules to allow all TCP and UDP traffic both inbound and outbound (these will get narrowed down to their proper ports at some point) and viola! Everything started working.

The issue with the DCM log not being created on the SQL TLog mount was simply VEA not leaving any room for it when it created that volume. I resized it -10MB and the log created without incident. Replicated the size change to the other side and was able to get the RDS setup without incident.

<sigh> Lessons learned, hope this will help someone else!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

It might be easier if you just create the primary RVG using VEA.

Can you ellaborate on what failed? Is this part of VCS, or just VVR?

If it is part of VCS (SFHA/DR) then please let us know what the state of the cluster is.

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

So I got to the point yesterday where I could get the wizard to create the RDSs, add the DCM logs, create the VCS groups, then it bombed on the RLINK config.

I have the primary cluster online (SQL 2005) and the secondary cluster (GCO only) with the RVG and volumes mounted only.

The other odd thing is that it cannot seem to create the DCM log on the primary SQL transaction log volume. Secondary side is fine.

I'm heading back to the lab to try to verify the basic settings to make sure I haven't missed something daft...

Seems like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back!

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

So in your "Replication networks" area, do you have both a primary and a secondary? The fact that say there are issues with the DCM on primray side might mean you dont.

If you're replication isn't working it might be worth it to just start over (if its not too much data tol replicate). If it is, then you should troubleshoot in VEA, or reconfigure using VEA. If you're getting errors from the wizard just remove it from the picture (its not always 100% on target).

Setup the primary (or fix it), then add the secondary and start the replication. Then go back to the wizard to do the VCS bits, it will pick up that the RDS is setup, and you can just say next for that piece.

Also, your volumes shouldn't be mounted in DR.

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

I just finished cleaning up some settings and found an issue. The DNS admin had erroneously entered the wrong hostname for a secondary IP address, and the VEA StorageAgent seems bound to that IP instead of the primary system IP.

How do I fix that?

RiaanBadenhorst

I'm not following, is the Storage Agent starting? Where is this misconfiguration done? DNS?

Are both IP's online, which site are you referring to, primary, secondary?

If your RDS was setup and working with say serverA and serverB, and then the DNS admin messed up server B (pointed it to another IP), you'll need to add a host entry on serverA that points to ServerB (or get him to unfix his fix). Replication will then be able to connect to serverB. If required, you can then change the replication settings for the secondary and add the new name, or better, just use the IP address.

If the mess is on serverA, just change the replication setttings for the primary to correct name, or IP address.

I dont see how the storage agent binding to an IP is an issue, haven't ever looked at it. If it is an issue, check you advanced network settings and make sure that the primary NIC is listed at the top of the adpater list. If thats what you're referring to.

Please share some more details, you started with one issue, and I'm not really clear at what stage you're at now :)

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

The problems all revolve around Windows 2008 and the fine (sarcasm) operating system that it is...

The storage agent bind issue was the result of Windows adding the NICs to the binding list in the reverse order. Cleaned that up, restarted all the proper services and the Storage Agent bound to the right IP.

The wizard crashing issue was due to the blasted built-in firewall. I had to add 4 explicit rules to allow all TCP and UDP traffic both inbound and outbound (these will get narrowed down to their proper ports at some point) and viola! Everything started working.

The issue with the DCM log not being created on the SQL TLog mount was simply VEA not leaving any room for it when it created that volume. I resized it -10MB and the log created without incident. Replicated the size change to the other side and was able to get the RDS setup without incident.

<sigh> Lessons learned, hope this will help someone else!

RiaanBadenhorst

Glad you got it working. For future reference, when you're creating a volume, always say maxsize, then take out 50 mb. Leaves room for all the snapshot / vvr logs etc. I learnt that the hard way..... back when you couldn't shrink a volume :p