cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP-HOW TO CONFIGURE VVR to two Servers

SymantecVeritas
Level 3
The purpose of this message is to request support interest in the configuration of two servers (Primary) HP ProLiant DL385p Gen7 virtualized, and a (Secondary) HP ProLiant DL380p Gen7, both with Platform Windows Server 2008, Standard x64 version, 64bit, to be connected for synchronous replication. 

Currently have installed on both computers Software Symantec Veritas Storage Foundation VSF, V6.0, in where Volume Replicator is an option that we want to achieve for both to maintain a daily backup replication or synchronously via IP network. 

I shall be waiting for your comments, 

Best regards,

****************************************************************************************************************

El propósito de este mensaje es el interés de solicitarle apoyo en la configuración en dos Servidores (Primario) HP ProLiant DL385p Gen7 virtualizado, y un (Secundario) HP ProLiant DL380p Gen7, ambos con Plataforma Windows Server 2008, version Standard x64, 64bit, conectados, para replicación sincrónica.

Actualmente se tienen instalados en ambos equipos el Software Symantec Veritas Storage Foundation VSF, V6.0, en dondeVolume Replicator es una opción con la que queremos lograr que ambos mantengan una replicación diaria o backup de forma sincrónica vía red IP.

Quedaré a la espera de sus comentarios,

Saludos Cordiales,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  1. Write signatures on the disks
  2. Create a Diskgroup
  3. Add all the disk you want to use to the disk group
  4. Create volumes for data
  5. Create FS for above mentioned volumes
  6. Create SRL volume
  7. Do the above mentiioned in both sites and make sure the size match exactly (don't use 100% of disk space, keep 1% / 10MB free)
  8. run the vvr security configuration wizards
  9. in VEA go the replication network
  10. Create the RDS (and the primary RVG) and select the data volumes and SRL
  11. Add the secondary and select the volumes
  12. Start replication.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

RiaanBadenhorst
  1. Write signatures on the disks
  2. Create a Diskgroup
  3. Add all the disk you want to use to the disk group
  4. Create volumes for data
  5. Create FS for above mentioned volumes
  6. Create SRL volume
  7. Do the above mentiioned in both sites and make sure the size match exactly (don't use 100% of disk space, keep 1% / 10MB free)
  8. run the vvr security configuration wizards
  9. in VEA go the replication network
  10. Create the RDS (and the primary RVG) and select the data volumes and SRL
  11. Add the secondary and select the volumes
  12. Start replication.

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

Thanks.

I'm new at this.

Signatures?

What about the networking part, because they arent in the same location?

And how long it would takes me to do it? I got no experience at all in this.

If you need more information, please, help.

And again, thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

Have you actually opened the VEA GUI and had a look? Are your disks assigned to the server yet? The process takes about 5 minutes to complete depending on the amount of volumes you want to make.

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

Explain yourself. 

This is my scenerie.

I have two ws 2008 servers, each one with different ip address, and the primary have to be the replication on the other (secundary), so how do i do it? Because the steps you gave me its for a server that has the disks locally.

Captura.PNG

RiaanBadenhorst

The steps work for your scenario. Let me know at which step you get stuck.

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

When adding to the secondary wizard, i put the secundary host and i got this error:

error.PNG

and then 

err1.PNG

Sigh..

I'm doing my best.

RiaanBadenhorst

Can you open VEA on the 2 node from the 2nd node? If so, then connect  the 2nd host in VEA before adding the secondary (alternative way of doing it).

Have you disabled the windows firewalls, maybe its blocking it?

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

Yes. Perfect.

Now, it appers primary RLINK NAME and sundary RLINK NAME??

What do i do?

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

Didn't put it. And then:

111.PNG

112.PNG

SymantecVeritas
Level 3

I FOUND THIS ON INTERNET BUT DIDNT WORK..

111111.PNG

Hope you still want to help. Thanks. u.u''

RiaanBadenhorst

Never seen that happen before. I think you didn't pay attention to point 7 in my first reply. Don't use 100% of the disk when you create your volumes. Go back and start again.

Sally_Carin
Level 3

Hello there,

Now i got this issue V-106-58644-674.  I did the start replication, but now appears that.

Sigh.

Sally_Carin
Level 3

Hey I was able to perform all the steps and the replication went well, now How can I know it is actually replicating because I can see the disks in the primary server but I cannot see them in the secondary server.

Sally_Carin
Level 3

Ey.

I just figured that out but for some reason it's not replicating in real time, for example if I create a file in the primary disk once the replication is done, i don't see it in the secondary disk. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can look in the "monitor view" section of the replication section. You'll see the amount of bytes pending, they should be ZERO, or the lag should be ZERO days hours minutes seconds behind.

The files won't show up immediately on the file system as NTFS does not dynamically update itself. Remeber you're replicating the BLOCKS, not the files. If you do a migration (make the secondary the primary), then you'll see the files. You can then also add more files to the secondary's drives, and it will replicate to the primary.

After that if you migrate back to the primary, then you'll see all the files on that side too.

Sally_Carin
Level 3

Ok.

What do you mean when you said 'blocks' instead of files?

RiaanBadenhorst

VVR replicates at the block level, a file system is made up of blocks on the disk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector

Sally_Carin
Level 3

Thanks,

Which ports has to be open so the Veritas could work through a firewall?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Moved last post to new forum