Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows 4.3

benitos
Not applicable

All,

I need urgent help with VSFW 4.3. 

I restored a Windows Server 2003 from backup and it also restored VSFW 4.3 but not the configuration it has for the Lun's presented to it. It sees most of the luns but lost are the groups, etc.  Is there a file I need to restore to bring the configuation of disk groups in or is there a way to recreate Windows drive paths from the Luns being presented.  ?

Thank you in advance,

Benito

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Benito,

Vxcbr utility is available in the 4.3 product.  However, the automatic backup of the disk group confiugration with vxcbr was not included until the 5.x versions.  The other issue is that if you did a manual backup with vxcbr in your 4.3 version the backup is stored on the system drive which you performed the restore of so unless you backed them up prior to the restore they are gone.

As Marianne mentioned, disk group configuration is stored in the private region on the disks themselves.  If the restore that you did was just the OS then the private resions on the disks should be intact along with the data that is on them.

I think your issue is more related to SFW is not working correctly.  You did not mention what backup product that you were using to perform your system backup/restore operations with.  The reason that I'm thinking that this is the case is that by default serveral system level drivers that SFW (affects all versions of SFW) uses are not backed up and restored per Microsoft's recommendations by more of the top used backup products.  This leaves SFW in a nonfunctioning state after a restore operation is complete.  The way to resolve this is to uninstall and reinstall SFW.  I would recommend that you try to reinstall SFW to fix your issue.

If this does not work, then please open a case with Technical Support so that we can check your disks to see if we can attempt volume recovery by other means.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Benito,

There is a utility (vxcbr) that can be used to restore disk group configurations withing SFW.  However I would highly recommend opening a support case (Although 4.3 support was EOSL as of July 31st, 2011).  Hopefully, you will still be able to get assistance. Please take a look at the following technote (This assumes that a backup of the DG configuration was made). 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49255

I hope this helps.

Joe D

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Diskgroup and volume info is stored in the private region of the disks/luns.
Are all of the luns visible?

Please run the following from cmd and share output:

vxassist rescan
vxdisk list

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Benito,

Vxcbr utility is available in the 4.3 product.  However, the automatic backup of the disk group confiugration with vxcbr was not included until the 5.x versions.  The other issue is that if you did a manual backup with vxcbr in your 4.3 version the backup is stored on the system drive which you performed the restore of so unless you backed them up prior to the restore they are gone.

As Marianne mentioned, disk group configuration is stored in the private region on the disks themselves.  If the restore that you did was just the OS then the private resions on the disks should be intact along with the data that is on them.

I think your issue is more related to SFW is not working correctly.  You did not mention what backup product that you were using to perform your system backup/restore operations with.  The reason that I'm thinking that this is the case is that by default serveral system level drivers that SFW (affects all versions of SFW) uses are not backed up and restored per Microsoft's recommendations by more of the top used backup products.  This leaves SFW in a nonfunctioning state after a restore operation is complete.  The way to resolve this is to uninstall and reinstall SFW.  I would recommend that you try to reinstall SFW to fix your issue.

If this does not work, then please open a case with Technical Support so that we can check your disks to see if we can attempt volume recovery by other means.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Benito,

I also forgot to mention that the private regions from 4.x are compatibile with the 5.x product line.  You will need to upgrade to 5.x prior to opening a support case since 4.x is already past its end of support time.

Thanks,

Wally