cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Volume information?

eu22106
Level 4

Hi all,

We are in the proces of fully automating extending a volume.

I need some information on which commands to do this with.

To extend the correct disks I need the SerialNumbers of those disks so Storage management knows which luns to extend in the SAN environment.
Does anyone know how to find these numbers through commands?

Ivo

9 REPLIES 9

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Try /etc/vx/diag.d/vxscsiinfo /dev/rdsk /(dev)

EdT
Level 6
If you are doing this from a windows environment then you can use WMI to do this.

eu22106
Level 4

Oh, Yes sorry. We have are running Windows.

WMI: Do you have a small example?

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Try this command

vxdisk -g <diskgroup> diskinfo <disk>

or use -e attribute with vxdisk command .. as per 6.0 guide

vxdisk diskinfo

Provides information on the disk referenced in <DiskName>. The information includes the disk name, the dynamic disk group with which the disk is associated, capacity (indicated as Length), disk partition style, free space, device type, port,channel, target ID, LUN, the disk signature, serial number, track alignment settings, Thin Provisioning type (ThinNoReclaim or ThinReclaim for thin provisioned disks),
etc. If the disk has subdisks associated with it, they will be listed.

vxdisk [-g <DynamicDiskGroupName>] diskinfo [-e] <DiskName>

The following attributes apply:
-e                                                              Is an optional parameter.
Use the -e option if you want to display extended attribute information for arrays in addition to the basic disk information. Extended attribute information available for display depends on the array type. It can include vendor ID, product ID, revision ID, cabinet serial number, array volume ID, array LUN type, array RAID level, array snapshot LUN, array replication LUN, array media type, array transport protocol, array port WWN number, array port serial number, array controller ID and array hardware mirror.

G

eu22106
Level 4

Gaurav,

The command vxdisk -g <diskgroup> diskinfo <disk> would be helpfull but how to query the <disk> information? As this would be in a script I'm not sure how to query that information.

The person who would be requesting a volume extention would know the SG and Volumename but not the disknumber.

I would think the script should look something like this:

Input from requestor: SGName, VolumeName and number of extra GB's.

Then I would get the associated serialnumbers (always 2, as they are mirrored disks in a volume)
StorageManagement would use these two serialnumbers to increase the lun size.
Finally I would do a
"vxassis -g<DG_Name> growby <VolumeName> MAXSIZE"

I hope this makes my question somewhat clearer.

Ivo

starflyfly
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To get disk serial number:

xx:/etc/vx/diag.d # vxdisk path
SUBPATH                     DANAME               DMNAME       GROUP        STATE
sdc                         ams_wms0_133         -            -            ENABLED
sdd                         ams_wms0_134         -            -            ENABLED
sde                         ams_wms0_135         -            -            ENABLED
sdf                         ams_wms0_142         ams_wms0_142 testdg       ENABLED
sdg                         ams_wms0_153         -            -            ENABLED
sda                         sda                  -            -            ENABLED
sdb                         sdb                  -            -            ENABLED
xx:/etc/vx/diag.d # /etc/vx/diag.d/vxscsiinq /dev/sdd

--------- Decoded Inquiry Information for /dev/sdd

Vendor Identification : HITACHI 
Product Identification : DF600F          
Revision Number : 0000
Serial Number : 730612470086    <<<<<<<<<<<
sprsr310b2-11:/etc/vx/diag.d # 

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi eu22106,

On windows, the "vxdisk diskinfo <harddisk# or PCTL>" command will provide the serial number in output for a specified disk.  You can use a loop to go through all available harddisks until you find the serial number that you are looking for.

The "vxassist" command can be used to grow the volume using the "growby" option.  This command would use the harddisk# or PCTL to select the exact disk to grow the volume to.

SFW also have the ability to automatically grow the volume and notify you when storage space limits have been reached.  This option will automatically select the lun to grow the volume to.  I know that this might not be exactly what you want since it sounds like you want to select exactly which luns the volume will be grown onto.  But it might meet your needs with less scripting.  Its just a thought.

Please let use know if this helps.

Thank you,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi eu22106,

You can also use the internal disk name (default "Disk#") of the disk group with the commands above.

Thank you,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Below is an extract from a script I used to get information from SFWHA:

FOR /F %%i IN ('vxprint -dn') DO vxdisk diskinfo %%i

You can pipe output through find or findstr, if you only want serial number in the output.

Mike