Did you mean: 

How to know DMP is enabled ?

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

OS = 2008R2

SFHA = 5.1SP2

Cluster Nodes = Two nodes cluster

While installing I did not select the DMP of Veritas. Now my Veritas Cluster is running with IBM own MPXIO. My Clients IBM vendor is complaining that DMP is also in use So I want to query via command that my DMP is in use or disable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

I did a test this morning and the vxdmpadm command is not on the server if the DMP option or an updated DDI package are not installed. 

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

You can use the following command to tell if you have the DMP license on the server:

vxlicrep | find "DMP"

This only tells that the DMP license key is on the server but not if the option is installed or if it is being used.  To determine if SFW's DMP is installed and working (claiming the disks) run the following command:

vxdmpadm dsminfo

The output will list all disks on the server and will list any SFW's DSMs that have claimed the disks.  I don't think it will show any thrid party DSMs like the IBM's DSMs if they have claimed the disks.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

SFW's DSMs for IBM arrays are as follows:

VIBMAADS

VIBMAP

VENGAP

VIBMAPDS

VXIV

If SFW's DMP is installed and claiming the disks from an IBM array then the "vxdmpadm dsminfo" command should show the disks claimed by one of the DSMs listed above.

Thanks,

Wally

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks Wally for your kind reply. As I mention that my OS/Platform is Windows(SFHA for Windows). I think I cant run this command (vxdmpadm dsminfo) on windows

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please check the GUI:

Open the DMP DSMs folder in the tree view under StorageAgent.

See if DSM modules are installed/enabled (see the list that Wally posted above).

PS: Wally will not give you Unix commands to run on Windows!

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks Marianne for your kind reply.

See if DSM modules are installed/enabled (see the list that Wally posted above).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Veritas\Veritas Volume Manager 5.1>vxlicrep.exe |find "DM
P"
   DMP Option                          = Enabled

C:\Program Files (x86)\Veritas\Veritas Volume Manager 5.1>

===========================================

Open the DMP DSMs folder in the tree view under StorageAgent.

===================================================

PS: Wally will not give you Unix commands to run on Windows!

Will this command (vxdmpadm dsminfo) run on windows ?

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

The command that I provided is for SFW which runs on Windows.  My specality is on the Windows SFW/SFW-HA products.

The vxlicrep output only states that the license key that you are using has DMP enabled.  It is does not indicate if you have actually installed the DMP option.

The VEA GUI output that you have indicates that the DMP option is not installed.  With 5.1 SP2 if DMP was installed the DMP folder would show up as Marianne indicated.

If you are still not sure the best way to check is to look in Add/Remove programs.  You can check the SFW/SFW-HA Server components to see what options are installed.  However, with 5.1 SP2 this is not always 100% becuase you could have installed a DDI package seperately.  You will also need to check Add/Remove programs to see if the DDI package install.

Once you have checked these items and they are there or not there, then you should really run the vxdmpadm dsminfo command that I provided you for Windows.  This will tell you if SFW's DMP is claiming the disks.  If it is not then you can ensure IBM that SFW's DMP in not in play.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

If you need additional assistance, please open a case with Symantec Technical Support.  We will happily work with your client's IBM vendor to help resolve this issue.  If they are concerned that our DMP is instaled we will be able to show them how to determine if it is or isn't installed.  If needed we can assist you and your customer on how to remove our DMP if it is installed.

Thanks,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would guess (I am sure Wally can confirm if I am right) that vxdmpadm command is only installed if DMP option is install and there if you run "vxdmpadm dsminfo" if it says command not found then DMP is not installed, otherwise look at output to see if DMP is claiming disks.

Mike

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Zahid, the screendump that you have posted confirms that no DMP DSM modules have been installed.

If you look at the "DMP DSM" section of chapter 13 of SFW_Admin_51SP2.pdf, you will see that it looks quite different when SF DSM modules have been installed.

Zahid_Haseeb

@ Wally

Thanks for your kind words. I asked from Client about any logs OR errors regarding the subjected query if there, I will share with you all.

@ Mike vxdmpadm command is only installed if DMP option is install

Hmm thats sound good.

@Marianne

Thanks I saw the snap which is really very help full.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

I did a test this morning and the vxdmpadm command is not on the server if the DMP option or an updated DDI package are not installed. 

Thanks,

Wally

Zahid_Haseeb

As my problem is resolved but is that possible that anyone may let me know that which file runs behind the DMP DSM for example abc.sys or etc