Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use sf(with cluster option for MS CLUSTER)on mscs

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI

My client's enviroment:

WIN2008R2,mscs for sqlserver 2005,has tow disk arrays.

I want to configure tow-array with mscs,but they has installed mscs and sqlserver.....so ,can I create dg and mirror volume to join the mscs,and copy sql data\log file to new volume(i will shutdown sql service first) ?

if yes,how to setup?

if no,what is the better way to migrate original data to sfw mirror volume?

because the system is critical system,can't be reinstalled mscs and sqlserver!

thanks. hope everyone know what i say!

Regards

RL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI,mike

Everything above was done by my co-worker lightship.

one dayI installed and configure mscs with sfw cluster option,add vmdg,and created msdtc resource reside vmdg successfully!

So the resoult is MSCS supports vmdgs,and the MSDTC resource is available on VMDGs.

thanks

Ricky

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This should work and you will need to shutdown SQL service before copying so SQL data is not changing while you are copying it.  You will also need to create VMDg resource in MSCS (you need to have MSCS Cluster option of SFW software installed for VMDg resource type to be available).  If there is a lot of data and it will take a long time to copy, you could convert partition to a Symantec volume and diskgroup, but this needs to be done while SQL is offline too.

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi mike

thanks for your reply.I will make SQL offline before coping.

I installed MSCS CLUSTER OPTION,and create SFW DG and mirror volume,but it don't appear in MSCS.I don't know why.

Regards

Ricky

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I follow the guide:

Failover Cluster Management--> Add a resource -->More resources > Add Volume Manager Disk Group

But I can't see any VMDG!

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This suggests MSCS Cluster Option did not work - try going into Control Panel and Add & Remove programs and choose Change for SFW to make sure MSCS Cluster option is selected.  If I remember correctly I think this puts a VMDg dll in the windows directory or subdirectory which is what MSCS picks up.

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI mike

I am sure I installed MCSC CLUSTER OPTION.

Maybe the VMDG Service don't work?I will try to reinstall MSCS cluster option.

thanks.

Ricky

Donald_Cook
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Ricky,

If you are using Storage Foundation, the fact that you are using 2 storage arrays is %100 transparent to the Cluster & SQL. If you already have the original disk group clustered. No additional action is needed with the cluster. You can move to the new array with SQL running. Please follow the technote below.

How to perform data migration from an existing array to a new array using SFW
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87823

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Donald

Thanks for your reply.But we did not installed SFW software,and the MSCS and SQL is running,so we can't migrate SQL data to new arrays with SQL running.

Reagrds

Ricky

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ricky - have a look at the following 2 technotes:

How to register Resource Types for VERITAS Volume Manager for Windows 2000, 2003, 2008, VERITAS Volume Replicator for Windows 2000, 2003, 2008, and VERITAS Storage Foundation for Windows in a Microsoft Cluster environment -
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH33400

Volume Manager Disk Group resource type needs to be re-added when a Windows Server Failover cluster is destroyed -
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64813

Mike

Donald_Cook
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Ricky,

I’m a little confused. The VMDg resource in a Microsoft Cluster is a feature of Storage Foundation.  You stated above that you do not have Storage Foundation installed.  If you do not have Storage Foundation installed than the VmDG resource is not an option available to you.  All of the information being provided to you above by Mike Bounds implies that you have Storage Foundation installed.  If you do not have Storage Foundation installed Windows will not read any Storage Foundation Dynamic Disk Groups (SFW DG). The Storage Foundation installation adds the VMDG as a resource type available in the Microsoft Cluster.

Storage Foundation gives you the following abilities:

-Add new disks to a disk group and mirror
-Migrate data from array to array with no down time
-The ability to add VMDg resources into the Microsoft cluster

Without Storage Foundation you are using regular Microsoft basic disks. To migrate with basic disks you will need to.

-add new LUNs to the server
-schedule down time
-backup and restore to the new LUNs
- create a new regular Microsoft disk resource in the cluster

If Storage Foundation is not installed, Microsoft would need to provide you additional assistance for this process.

Kind regards,
Donald

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I fix the issue by reinstalling sfw with mscs cluster option.

But I add VMDG resourece to MSCS,shutdown SQL and copy datafile/log file to new volume,the MSDTC serivce can't be online!

someone say that data miragetation from original disk  to new volume would make MSDTC can't be online,even if we use MSCS without SFW!

It is right?and how to solve problem?any action should be required?

thanks.

ricky

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which resources are working and which are not (VmDg, SQL service, MSDTC service etc).  Are you using the same drive letters/folder mounts for SFW that you were using for non-SFW.

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi mike

when I make MSDTC offline,other resources are working;try to online MSDTC,it will failed,and other resources will be offline. ..

Ricky

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you using the same drive letters/folder mounts for SFW that you were using for non-SFW.

i.e supposing SQL was on D:, then you should have stopped SQL and copied all data to say E: on SFW volume, then you should have unassigned D: on old non-SFW partition and reassign SFW volume to D:, so from an SQL/MSDTC perspective, nothing has changed.

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I use the same mount point and folder as the original.

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Mike,I did as you say.nothing has changed.

Maybe MSCS and MSDTC depend on what i missed?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This should work then - maybe you didn't copy some hidden files as if all files are the same, then SQL will be unaware of the change.  What you are doing is similar to a restore from a backup after a disk failure where you are copying files to different storage, but so long as the files are the same, the change in underlying storage makes no difference.

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is SQL working on new SFW volume and is it just MSDTC that is not working?

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI.mike.

If MSDTC reside on VMDG,it is not work;if basic disk,it is working.

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

mike

but I deteted MSDTC and recreate it that reside basic disk,all resources are working.

If it resides on dynamic DG,it will failed.