Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use sf(with cluster option for MS CLUSTER)on mscs

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI

My client's enviroment:

WIN2008R2,mscs for sqlserver 2005,has tow disk arrays.

I want to configure tow-array with mscs,but they has installed mscs and sqlserver.....so ,can I create dg and mirror volume to join the mscs,and copy sql data\log file to new volume(i will shutdown sql service first) ?

if yes,how to setup?

if no,what is the better way to migrate original data to sfw mirror volume?

because the system is critical system,can't be reinstalled mscs and sqlserver!

thanks. hope everyone know what i say!

Regards

RL

27 REPLIES 27

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't know that much about MSDTC - I only used it once as most databases I worked with just had SQL without MSDTC and I can't even remember if MSDTC had its own storage or whether it uses the SQL database.  Have you migrated the SQL database onto VMDg, and if so is SQL working, even though MSDTC is not.

Mike

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

In MSCS 2008+SQL2005,MSDTC resourece is required...

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

To mike &  Donald

Are you symantec empolyee?

I am doing POC to my client....but encounter the problem.

I read SFW admin guide,and it teach me how to install and configure SFW in a new environment,but did not mention of MSDTC...Want to know wheter can it be supported by VMDG?

Who can give me a result?

Regards

Ricky

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I no longer work for Symantec, but I was a consultant there for 10 years.  VMDg does not have a list of supported applications, because it is no different from Windows LDM and in fact Windows LDM is actually a cut-down OEM version of SFW.  So any application will work with VMDg and actually MSDTC is specifically mention in "Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions Quick Recovery and Microsoft Clustering Solutions Guide for Microsoft SQL" where there is a "Creating the MSDTC resource" section for MSCS on SFW.

Maybe when you copy files in Windows, there is a difference in the copied version and MSDTC is senstive to this - you could try copying to a different basic disk to verify this and if the copy doesn't work you will have to look at different ways of copying using backup and restore rather than copying in Explorer.

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This link - http://www.ryanjadams.com/2011/07/move-cluster-msdtc/#axzz2NPqfO4bl says you should recreate the MSDTC resource in MSCS.  This could be because the dependency in MSCS changes from depending on a basic disk to depending on a different basic disk (or a VMDg resource in your case), so you could just try changing dependency if you haven't already, or recreate the MSDTC resource.

Mike

Donald_Cook
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Ricky,

I am a current Symantec Employee. I agree with Mike. MSDTC is supported while using a VMDg resource for disk management. At this point, I would recommend that you open a technical support case so that we may provide you some additional assistance.

Contact Business Support Via Phone
http://www.symantec.com/support/techsupp_contact_phone.jsp

The support for clustering MSDTC in a Microsoft Cluster would need to be provided by Microsoft. However, it is a supported configuration to cluster MSDTC on top of a VMDg Resource.

Symantec and Microsoft Supportability statement
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159728

Please see the technote below for information on changing from a basic disk to a dynamic disk configuration in a Microsoft Cluster.

How to move from a physical disk resource to a VERITAS Volume Manager (tm) disk group resource in a Microsoft cluster
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31462

lightship
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

As Ricky mentioned before, I set up a windows 2008 r2 mscs environment, I use ordinary share volume to create the msdtc application, msdtc can normally switch to another server, however, if I use a vmdg disk to create the msdtc resources, msdtc cannot switch.

RickyLeung
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI,mike

Everything above was done by my co-worker lightship.

one dayI installed and configure mscs with sfw cluster option,add vmdg,and created msdtc resource reside vmdg successfully!

So the resoult is MSCS supports vmdgs,and the MSDTC resource is available on VMDGs.

thanks

Ricky