Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im doing it wrong... Right?

max_pely
Not applicable

Hi... All

Neewbie question.

Im trying to expand a partition with storage foundation (se attached screen dumb) but it states that there is not enough free space.

Looking at the picture the partition i'm trying to expand is F: and as you can se i have 30 gb free to use but i'm unable to use that space.
For some reason E: is able to use it...

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong here.Bild 1.png

1 REPLY 1

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
As the disk is basic and not dynamic, the partitions can only be expanded to the immediate adjacent free space.
But at the moment, the SQLData (F:) partition has no immediate free space to the right side as Data (E:) partition is taking up that space. Hence the error.
This is the same limitation as the diskpart utility. (SFW does not have advanced partitioning capabilities as it's mainly a dynamic disk/volume manager)

3 possible solutions/workarounds I can think of:
1. Delete the E: partition then extend the F: partition then recreate the E: partiton.
2. Convert the Harddisk0 to dynamic disk group then expand the F volume. (once dynamic, the current limitation disappears)
3. Use a separate disk partitioning application (ie. Partition Magic) to resize the partition the way you want. (this actually rearranges partition locations to allow the expansion)