cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SFW + MSCS option into a running MSCS SQL 2005 Cluster

JCasselman
Level 2

I have an existing SQL 2005 MSCS cluster with multiple Basic Disk partitions / cluster resources in the SQL cluster group.  If I wish to convert these to Volume Groups / Dynamic Cluster disk resources, what are the steps involved to use the existing SQL cluster group without reinstalling SQL 2005?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi JCasselman,

Here is a basic rundown of the steps.  This is based on you having several physical disk resources in your SQL service group already and assuming that all of the physical disk resources have the same dependencies in the clsuter.

1. Install SFW with the MSCS option on all nodes.
2. Remove one of the physical disk resources from your SQL service group (ensure that the SQL service group is offline on all nodes.)  You will need to remove any dependencies on this physical disk resource before you can delete it.
3. Upgrade the disk that was just removed from the SQL service group to a SFW Clustered Dynamic disk group.
4.  Test to make sure that you can import and deport the clustered dynamic disk group on all node.
5.  Import the clustered dynamic disk group on the node where you are working.
6.  Add a Veritas Dynamic Disk group (VMDg) resource to the SQL service group in Cluster Administartor.
7.  Setup the dependencies for the VMDg resource that was just added to be the same as the physical disk resources still in the service group.
8.  Remove all physical disk resources from the SQL service group.
9.  Add the disks from from the physical disk resources to the Veritas Clustered Dynamic Disk group that was created in step 3.
10.  Test failover of the SQL service group to all nodes and test SQL functionality as you go.

Yes, 1 VMDg resource can replace multiple Physical Disk resources.

Repeat the process for any other service groups that you are switching from physical disk resource to dynamic.

Thanks,
Wally

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi JCasselman,

Here is a basic rundown of the steps.  This is based on you having several physical disk resources in your SQL service group already and assuming that all of the physical disk resources have the same dependencies in the clsuter.

1. Install SFW with the MSCS option on all nodes.
2. Remove one of the physical disk resources from your SQL service group (ensure that the SQL service group is offline on all nodes.)  You will need to remove any dependencies on this physical disk resource before you can delete it.
3. Upgrade the disk that was just removed from the SQL service group to a SFW Clustered Dynamic disk group.
4.  Test to make sure that you can import and deport the clustered dynamic disk group on all node.
5.  Import the clustered dynamic disk group on the node where you are working.
6.  Add a Veritas Dynamic Disk group (VMDg) resource to the SQL service group in Cluster Administartor.
7.  Setup the dependencies for the VMDg resource that was just added to be the same as the physical disk resources still in the service group.
8.  Remove all physical disk resources from the SQL service group.
9.  Add the disks from from the physical disk resources to the Veritas Clustered Dynamic Disk group that was created in step 3.
10.  Test failover of the SQL service group to all nodes and test SQL functionality as you go.

Yes, 1 VMDg resource can replace multiple Physical Disk resources.

Repeat the process for any other service groups that you are switching from physical disk resource to dynamic.

Thanks,
Wally

JCasselman
Level 2

That's exactly what I needed.  As a follow up, can you tell me what Multi-path technology I should use?

Is there any issue with using HP MPIO for the HP EVA or must I remove a physical path, uninstall HP MPIO DSM, and upgrade to Veritas DMP?  

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi JCasselman,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I just got back in town from a week long vacation.

If you are asking my advice, SFW's DMP is the best product to use.  But in all fairness HP MPIO version 4.01.00 is listed as tested/supported with an EVA araay and SFW 5.1 SP1.  I would say its your call.  If you already have HP MPIO then I would advise to test it and if it does what you want then use it.   If not then try SFW's DMP. 

If you are using a newer version of HP MPIO then I cannot say if it will work or not.  I can just comment on what is on our HCL as supported.

Here is a link to the SFW 5.1 SP1 AP1 HCL - ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337683.pdf.

Thanks,
Wally