cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lanman agent fails to come up after creating SQL2008 service group for the first time

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

After creating the SQL Server 2008 R2 service group (on a 2 node cluster - SFW HA 5.1 SP2 on Server 2008 R2) for the first time, the Lanman agent was failing on both nodes.

To troubleshoot, I gave domain admin permissions to the vcs helper account and the resource sucessfully came up. Once this was done, I reverted back to the 'domain/users' permissions and tried to bring the Lanman resource back up again on both nodes to test. The resource was working fine afterwards.

Any one having similar issue can try these steps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rhanley
Level 4

Hi Shahfar,

That is definitely interesting that the original domain/user configured for the Helper Service failed. Aside from that, it appeared to be a situation where the Helper Service acct didn't have the proper permissions to update AD and/or DNS. This depends on the LanMan attributes configured:

DNSUpdateRequired
ADUpdateRequired

With these values set to TRUE, LanMan will attempt to update DNS and AD, but if it is unable to, it will still bring the LanMan resource online successfully.

DNSCriticalForOnline
ADCriticalForOnline

With these values set to TRUE, the LanMan resource will only successfully online if it's able to successfully update AD/DNS. If it can't (i.e. permissions issue), the LanMan resource will fault.

Are you sure that these attributes weren't modified at any time during the troubleshooting and the only change was made to the VCS Helper Account? If either of the Critical AD/DNS attributes were set to TRUE above, the only logical explanation seems to be that the account was provided the necessary permissions at some point.

You can also check the %VCS_HOME%\log\Lanman_A.txt file and see if that provides a specific reason for the failure which may give you a better understanding as to why it was originally failing.

I hope this helps.

-rhanley

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

rhanley
Level 4

Hi Shahfar,

That is definitely interesting that the original domain/user configured for the Helper Service failed. Aside from that, it appeared to be a situation where the Helper Service acct didn't have the proper permissions to update AD and/or DNS. This depends on the LanMan attributes configured:

DNSUpdateRequired
ADUpdateRequired

With these values set to TRUE, LanMan will attempt to update DNS and AD, but if it is unable to, it will still bring the LanMan resource online successfully.

DNSCriticalForOnline
ADCriticalForOnline

With these values set to TRUE, the LanMan resource will only successfully online if it's able to successfully update AD/DNS. If it can't (i.e. permissions issue), the LanMan resource will fault.

Are you sure that these attributes weren't modified at any time during the troubleshooting and the only change was made to the VCS Helper Account? If either of the Critical AD/DNS attributes were set to TRUE above, the only logical explanation seems to be that the account was provided the necessary permissions at some point.

You can also check the %VCS_HOME%\log\Lanman_A.txt file and see if that provides a specific reason for the failure which may give you a better understanding as to why it was originally failing.

I hope this helps.

-rhanley