cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a disk and its volume between disk groups

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

I thought this would be straightforward, but I must be missing something!

I have a cluster disk group (with VCS) with 5 disks (LUNs) in it.

One of those disks has an NTFS volume on it. I wish to take that disk and the volume on it and move them to a new disk group, bringing that volume over.

SFW won't let me remove the disk from the disk group, as it has a volume on.

I know I could create a new disk for the new disk group, and backup and restore, but that's no fun, and far too time consuming.

Am I missing something obvious, or is SFW not designed to work this way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eu22106
Level 4

Hywel,

If I'm right you want to export a disk that is part of a VCS-volume?

I don't think this will work. You can do a complete DG export to a different eg.  server. (done this in the past for trouble shooting)

You might look at the option "snapshot". Here you can make a snapshot of a volume and export the snapshot disk to a different eg. server.

Ivo

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

eu22106
Level 4

Hywel,

If I'm right you want to export a disk that is part of a VCS-volume?

I don't think this will work. You can do a complete DG export to a different eg.  server. (done this in the past for trouble shooting)

You might look at the option "snapshot". Here you can make a snapshot of a volume and export the snapshot disk to a different eg. server.

Ivo

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need to split the diskgroup by right clicking on diskgroup in VEA and choosing "Split Dynamic Disk Group" (use use vxdg split from command line) to split the diskgroup into 2:

• New diskgroup containing one disk and your NTFS volume
  • Existing diskgroup which would now contain 4 LUNs

To do this you need the flashsnap or Enterprise license.  There are unsupported ways to do this if you do not have a flashsnap license - let me know if you need to know further.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Hywel

In order to have the split dynamic disk group option, you must have the Flashsnap option with SFW.  Once you have that option installed you can just right click on the current disk group and select split disk group.  Then select the disk(s) with the volume that you want to move and give it a new disk group name.   When completed you will then have two disk groups.

Thanks,

Wally

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

No FlashSnap option here unfortunately.

Backup Exec to the rescue!

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Hywel,

If this is just a one time operation, then you can install a demo flashsnap key and do the disk group split.  The option demo key will expire in 60 days.  You will need to get with your account rep to get a demo/eval key.

Thanks,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Note, flashsnap option lets you split disk group and do Fast mirror resync (FMR) on snapshot resyncs and it is the vxdg split option, not the snapshot option as I note you marked the answer saying you could look at snapshop option.  You can actually snapshot without a flashsnap option, but snapshot will not help you.

Mike