Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to destroy DG that cannot be imported

Yet
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi.

I'm using virtual Windows 2008 R2, SFW 6.0.1 on VMware 5.1.

I have DG that cannot be imported, instead of resolving the issue I want to destroy it. Is it possible? If so, how?

Addition, when I created this DG it initialy displayed that disk cannot be added though it was able to and imported the DG. However, when I deported it i cannot import it again. Error is V-76-58645-542, unable to reserve a majority of dynamic disk group members. failed to start scsi reservation thread. I've seen lots of discussion about this error but instead of going through I thought of destroying it and modify VM properties as per VMware guide for clustering particularly the disk.

Any idea is most welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Yet,

Vxtool is a password protected zip file download.  You will need to open a case with Symantec Technical Support and have us run vxtool to clean up the diskgroup.  There might also be other items that we can do to get the diskgroup imported.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Yet,

You should import the diskgroup as a non-cluster dynamic diskgroup and then you can destroy it.

To import it as a non-clustered diskgroup, select "Import as dynamic disk group" during the import operation from VEA.  Here is a screenshoot of the option (see attachment.)

-Wally

peteryang73
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi Yet,

You also can use Vxtool utility to clear disk private reagion information. You can follow up the steps as below.

1.C:\>vxtool disk resetmbr harddisk#

Note:(# is the disk number in which disk group, such as harddisk1)

Do the step1 if you have other disks in thie disk group.

2.C:\>vxassist rescan

After that, disk group name will be gone in VEA, and all disks in this disk group  will be revert to basic disk.

-Peter

peteryang73
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi Yet,

You can download Vxtool from http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192223

Using VxTool on servers running Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows and Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows High Availability 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x

-Peter

Yet
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you guys for the reply.

It failed to import even as dynamic dg.

it's the only disk on the dg.

is it possible to remove it properly?

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Yet,

Vxtool is a password protected zip file download.  You will need to open a case with Symantec Technical Support and have us run vxtool to clean up the diskgroup.  There might also be other items that we can do to get the diskgroup imported.

Thank you,

Wally