cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFB for Windows - Unable to grow R5 set

Markham
Level 2

Currently have a 3 drive R5 set and added 1 drive as per admin manual (3 x 1.5TB drives, added 4th 1.5TB drive)

install and then signature the disk

add to R5 dynamic disk group

I'm not able to add the free space to the group provided by the 4th disk. there is 198MB of free space left on the original group and I get errors when I try to expand.

One thing I noticed is that Harddisk4 is missing form the dialog, but none of my disks show an error. Does not matter how little I try to grow either:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Markham,

Raid 5 sets have to be grown with the same number of columns that are in the raid set.  In other words, if you had a Raid 5 with 3 disks in it, you will need to add 3 new disks (not just 1) to expand your volume.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Markham,

Raid 5 sets have to be grown with the same number of columns that are in the raid set.  In other words, if you had a Raid 5 with 3 disks in it, you will need to add 3 new disks (not just 1) to expand your volume.

Thanks,

Wally

Markham
Level 2

Thanks !.

few more questions, Is that rule for columns in the admin guide ?. do the new disks have to be the same size or will this still work with larger disks, let's say 2TB ? (I assume it will not, or cause some kind of contention issue)

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Markham,

I'm not able to find anything in the guide on how to expand a raid 5 volume.  But expanding it is the same as a normal stipe without parity.

You can use any size disks that your disk layout will support (MBR < 2TB and GTP up to 256 TB.)  In your case you will need to add atleast 3 disks to expand the volume.  They can be 3 x 500 GB to get you net increase of 1 TB of storage space.  The luns don't even have to be the same size but SFW will only use space that is equal to the smallest lun being expanded to.

thanks,

Wally