cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW 5.1 & VMWare

D__GARRIVIER
Level 2

Hello all,

we are using SFW 5.1 SP1 with VM (running Win2K3 SP2 R2) supported by ESX3.5U5.

These VM are clustered and share disks are RDM mirrored (using SFW) disk. their system disks are mirrored also (still using SFW) but stored as vmdk (datastore located on our SAN storage).

We encounter random VM freeze: the VM can be pinged but it is impossible to connect on it (neither RDP nor VCMS console).

Does any one encoutered such a case ?

Regards,

D. GARRIVIER

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi D.,

You will need to configure the server to do a memory dump when the server crashes. 

Microsoft has several keyboard sequences that can be done to force a manual memory dump.  If you do a search on Google I'm sure you will find several KB articles on it.  They have a slightly different keyboard sequence for USB keyboards verses PS2 keyboards.

You will need to get with VMWare to see which method for forcing a manual memory dump that they support.  They might evey have a special utility to to do this. 

Sorry that I can not be more helpful than that.  I'm not that familar with ESX to say how to do the manual memory dump.

But without analyzing the memory dump, it is going to be impossible to tell you what is causing the server to hang.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

I have a few questions for you.

1. Is the freeze just with this one VM or all VMs running on the same physical server?

2. Does the VM unfreeze after some time? 

3. Do you have to force a power off of the VM or the ESX server to resolve?

If it is just the one VM that freezes then you will need to determine how you want to troubleshoot this issue.  You can troubleshoot in a non-invasive manner by setting up performance monitoring to try to determine what is happening when the server freezes. 

Or you can do a more invasive approach by setting up the VM to do a manual memory dump when the issue happens.  VMware should be able to assist on how best to trigger a manual memory dump on the server when it freezes.  Once you have the memory dump you should have Microsoft analyze the memory dump.  You may then need to engage Symantec or another vendor for support once Microsoft determines who is causing the server to freeze.

If all VMs on the server are freezing then you may need to get with VMware on how best to troubleshoot from their point of view.

Thanks,

Wally

D__GARRIVIER
Level 2

Hi,

1. Is the freeze just with this one VM or all VMs running on the same physical server?

[DGR] Just one VM, not all (others VM on the same ESX are still operating)

2. Does the VM unfreeze after some time? 

[DGR] No

3. Do you have to force a power off of the VM or the ESX server to resolve

[DGR] Yes, the only way is to power-off the VM

We tried to set the performance monitor, but, nothing is written anymore on the HD when the VM freezes.

How can I make a memory dump on a freezed VM ? I know how to make it for a windows blue screen but ...

D.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi D.,

You will need to configure the server to do a memory dump when the server crashes. 

Microsoft has several keyboard sequences that can be done to force a manual memory dump.  If you do a search on Google I'm sure you will find several KB articles on it.  They have a slightly different keyboard sequence for USB keyboards verses PS2 keyboards.

You will need to get with VMWare to see which method for forcing a manual memory dump that they support.  They might evey have a special utility to to do this. 

Sorry that I can not be more helpful than that.  I'm not that familar with ESX to say how to do the manual memory dump.

But without analyzing the memory dump, it is going to be impossible to tell you what is causing the server to hang.

Thanks,

Wally

hhzhao
Not applicable

I am currently test a cluster environment consists of physical and virtual servers. On VMWare virtual server (Windows 2003), I have trouble to start the Veritas Storage Agent, therefore, won't be able to manage the disk groups. All other cluster function seemed working fine.

Any one has hany ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi hhzao

Your question is not really related to this thread.

Please start a new discussion.

Go to:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/storage-management/forums/storage-foundation-windows

Create Content -> Forum Discussion