cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW 5.1 on Windows2008 display wrong disk name

neoluu
Not applicable

Hi,

I installed SFW 5.1 SP2 on Win2008 R2 x64 with the VVR option. The problem I have is that windows explorer show all the disk label name as "Local Disk" whereas in VEA it display them as the internal name of the disk, which is what I want. I have tried changing it through windows, and when I right click and check the properties of the drive, the field for the name is blank even after entering a name and then exiting and return back to it being blank again.

Has anyone experience this and know a remedy?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Windows Explorer shows drive letters and file system lables for a part of a disk and not the entire disk. Because of this, you will not see the Microsoft Windows "disk name" or the Storage Foundation for Windows (SFW) "internal disk name" (this is only going to be seen through the VEA as this is SFW specific information that is in the SFW disk group configuration maintained in the SFW private region of the disk.

So if you want to have the disk name appear in Windows Explorer, you will need to change the file system label to represent the disk you want. However, this will only work if you have a 1:1 ratio; 1 [concatenated] volume that takes up an entire disk. This would not work for any other volume type (stripe, mirror, etc.).

If you use a disk management utility, such as diskpart, this would show the "disk name", e.g. DISK1, however, it still will not show the SFW "internal disk name", e.g. DATA01.

I hope that this helps and if you have any other questions, please let reply to the thread.

Thank you,

Daniel

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@neoluu are you perhaps referring to the volume label and not really the disk name?

Please post screenshots of what you see.