cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW and SSD

lsvasset
Level 2

Good Morning,

We have set up a RAID 10 using SFW using several SSD drives and are running into some read performance issues.  We believe that the Device Type detection in SFW is partly to blame.  Our SSD drives are PCI bus (FusionIO) based and are being detected as UNKNOWN.  I have attached a screenshot of this behavior.

Having read the section in "Using Veritas Storage Foundation with Solid State Drives.pdf" which deals with this problem, I am aware of the following method for attributing SSD to a device with an UNKNOWN type.

vxdisk set <diskname> mediatype=ssd

or to force:

vxdisk -f set <diskname> mediatype=ssd

However, this option does not seem to be available in the Windows version of vxdisk.

Is there any other way in SFW to manually set the Device Type of a disk if it is not automatically detected properly?

We are currently evaluating this product as a way to get a software RAID 10 on Windows Server 2003.

Thank you,

Matthew Hill
matt@tfisllc.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Isvasset,

This drive is not on the HCL so Symantec has not done any testing with it.  This does not mean that it will not work, it just means that Symantec has done no testing so Symantec cannot say if it will work or not. 

The picture shows that we can not identify the specific device type.  However, it does show as a harddisk so SFW should be able to use it. 

The only problem that I can see is that this could not be used in a clustered configuration because the FusionIO device is plugged directly into the PCI bus of a server and is not shared between multiple nodes in a cluster.

Thanks,
Wally

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lsvasset
Level 2

Update: We are using version 5.1 SP1.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Isvasset,

This drive is not on the HCL so Symantec has not done any testing with it.  This does not mean that it will not work, it just means that Symantec has done no testing so Symantec cannot say if it will work or not. 

The picture shows that we can not identify the specific device type.  However, it does show as a harddisk so SFW should be able to use it. 

The only problem that I can see is that this could not be used in a clustered configuration because the FusionIO device is plugged directly into the PCI bus of a server and is not shared between multiple nodes in a cluster.

Thanks,
Wally

tscribner
Not applicable

Hello, my name is Tom Scribner and I work for Fusion-io.  Very interesting that this post just popped up as I was talking with Symantec two days ago about this same setup.  One of my take-away's from that meeting was to setup a scenario like this.  Unfortunately, I'm currently working up in Seattle (Microsoft) and will not be back into the office until Monday morning. 

In reviewing the various information, everything should work fine, however, I'll look into the problem on Monday and report back on this forum.  If you wish to contact me further, please feel free to contact me via email at tscribner@fusionio.com

Thanks,
Tom