cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW and Win Failover Cluster - the easy way

pepanter
Not applicable
Hello all,

I have just set up a new Failover cluster and wanted to install SFW 'just' for mirroring SAN partitions (meaning: no Campus cluster or VCS). This should be possible, I think, but the solutions guide seems to miss this point...
Well, I am new to Veritas SFW. Can someone give me a hint?

Best regards,
Peter.
2 REPLIES 2

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Peter,

When you run setup from the distribution media, you need to select "Storage Foundation 5.1 for Windows" on the first dialog box.  This will start the installation of SFW only that does not include the VCS/HA product.  You will then need to make sure that you select the MSCS option during the installation.

Windows Failover Cluster is covered in section 7 of the Solutions Guide at this link:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/306330.pdf

Windows Failover Cluster section starts on page 642.  Specifically on page 650 (toward bottom) it describes how to install SFW in an Windows Failover Cluter.

Details on how to mirror a volume can be found in the SFW Administrator's Guide on page 240.  The SFW Administartor Guide is available at:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/306319.pdf

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Wally

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Basically:

1. Setup Failover cluster with SFW as instructed in the PDF guides.
- Which means using Veritas dynamic diskgroup resources in the cluster for the dynamic disks also.

2. Then mirror the volume via VEA gui. (can do it via command line also but easier through gui)
- Add the required harddisk into the diskgroup where the volume you want to mirror resides in.
- Right-click on the volume - add mirror - select the target disk/s and go through wizard to start the mirror creation/sync.
- This is transparent to the cluster so you can do it without doing anything to the cluster or the resources. (resources can be left online)