Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW version 6 Licensing

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello 

Recently new version  of SFW has been introduced it is version 6.
Unfortunately I’m not able to find any information about licensing structure of SFW. IF some of You have such a guides – please share it.
I'm carious to know if Microsoft Cluster Option is  a part of standard version of SFW or it is part only of SFW Enterprise.
In ver 5.1 it was a part of Enterprise version but there was a possibility to purchase it separately as ad-on to the standard version of SFW.
For ver 6 I’m not able to find SKU for Microsoft Cluster Option in the pricelist – so this the reason I’m asking for that.

Thanks for any help
Regards
Jurek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Jurek,

As a clarification, DMP is no longer consider an add-on to SFW, however you can purchase it separately as an independent product without SFW. This would be analogous to EMC PowerPath or HDS HDLM. 

Joe D

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good question!

I have just searched PartnerNet - the only Licensing Guide on this site is dated December 2009 and contains SF/HA 5.1 info for Windows, Unix, Linux surprise frown.

Maybe contact your local Symantec SE for updated licensing guide? I have just emailed our local SE...

Marianne

Our SE has just sent me the 6.0 Licencing Guide.

I cannot post it on a public forum - please ask your SE?

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne for that info.

I will push our local SE and hopefully I get this licensing guide.
I already asked them but did not get any documents. Perhaps because of Christmas time.

I realize that You cannot post this guide to the public but -  perhaps  - can you answer my question about Microsoft Cluster Option.

Thanks in advance
Jurek

Marianne

I'm running around today with private matters - please contact me via my profile. Send me an email and I will forward the doc to you.

Marianne

Hi Jurek

I have just had a look at the licensing doc that I've emailed to you.

Microsoft Cluster is not mentioned anywhere in this doc... which makes this URL a bit confusing:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/licensing.jsp?pcid=pcat_storage&pvid=31_1

Options

The following options are separately licensed and are available on each OS level. Support for MSCS is only available on Advanced Server/Enterprise and Datacenter.
  • Dynamic Multipathing (DMP)
  • FlashSnap
  • Volume Replicator
  • Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS)

Maybe best to contact Product Management...

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Jurek,

With the release of 6.0, the packaging of SFW is somewhat different:

We have deprecated DMP, FlashSnap and MSCS as separate options.  DMP is now part of the standard release of SFW while the FlashSnap and MSCS components are now simply bundled when you license SFW Enterprise. 

The "Fast Failover" feature will require the complete SFWHA stack.

Additionally, there are new CPU/Tiering options based on the SPVU or Symantec Performance Value Unit.  This allows for a much more granular licensing model for Virtual environments.  The CPU and OS meter will however remain as an option.

https://sort.symantec.com/spvu_calc 

Hope This helps,

Joe D

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I reviewed dec price list and noticed that for Windows, they are 10 main products.

As you can see you will now have to decide which item to order depending what you need (MSCS support seems to be only available in ENTERPRISE versions.

SF 6.0 Windows (info from doc '931.xlsx' found in notification aera for SFW product)
version Base (understand not HA neither HA/DR) HA  (Includes SFW+, VCS for Windows, Application Agents,  Database Agents) HA / DR  (Includes SF HA for Windows, Hardware Replication Agents, Global Cluster Option)

STD

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION 6.0 WIN

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION HA 6.0 WIN

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION HA/DR 6.0 WIN

ENT (includes SFW +, FlashSnap and Cluster Option for Micrsoft Cluster)

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE 6.0 WIN

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 6.0 WIN

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA/DR 6.0 WIN

Each above main products are available in 4 references:

In addition (also all available in 4 references) there are:

Common option
VVR opt VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION OPTION VOLUME REPLICATOR 6.0 WIN

DMP Product

DMP

VRTS DYNAMIC MULTI-PATHING 6.0 WIN

VCSW

(HA)  HA/DR
VCS VRTS CLUSTER SERVER 6.0 WIN VRTS CLUSTER SERVER HA/DR 6.0 WIN

Hope this could help a lot (I'm awaiting for corresponding licensing guide)

Regards

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Jurek,

As a clarification, DMP is no longer consider an add-on to SFW, however you can purchase it separately as an independent product without SFW. This would be analogous to EMC PowerPath or HDS HDLM. 

Joe D

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks all of You for your posts and comments.

I already know the SF 6 for Win licensing structure.

Thanks again

Jurek

UFO
Level 6

Does SFWHA 6.0 licensing allow downgrade?

UFO
Level 6

When the licensing guide will be published on Partner Net?