cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFWHA 5.1 SP1 and SCSI-3 PGR

Mark_1
Level 2
Certified

I'm trying to determine if when using a 3rd-party DSM does VCS still support SCSI-3 PGR? When using a DMP DSM then SCSI-3 PGR is supported, but does this carry over when using a 3rd party DSM, in particular, the IBM SDD DSM?

Thanks...Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mark,

I hate to give this answer but it depends.  SFW-HA can be set to issues SCSI2 or SCSI3 commands via the VEA Control Panel.  So you can set support there to SCSI-3 if the third part DSM support native SCSI-3 commands or it is support native SCSI-2 commands. 

SFW's DSM also have the ability to translate Native SCSI-2 commands to their corrosponding SCSI-3 commands via registry entries.  If the third part DSM support SCSI-2 to SCSI-3 translation then it really would not matter too much on the SCSI-2/SCSI-3 support setting in the VEA Control Panel.

If you are using "VCS for Windows" (no SFW) then it would be sending native SCSI-2 commands and it would require that the third part DSM translates them to SCSI-3 commands.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mark,

I hate to give this answer but it depends.  SFW-HA can be set to issues SCSI2 or SCSI3 commands via the VEA Control Panel.  So you can set support there to SCSI-3 if the third part DSM support native SCSI-3 commands or it is support native SCSI-2 commands. 

SFW's DSM also have the ability to translate Native SCSI-2 commands to their corrosponding SCSI-3 commands via registry entries.  If the third part DSM support SCSI-2 to SCSI-3 translation then it really would not matter too much on the SCSI-2/SCSI-3 support setting in the VEA Control Panel.

If you are using "VCS for Windows" (no SFW) then it would be sending native SCSI-2 commands and it would require that the third part DSM translates them to SCSI-3 commands.

Thanks,

Wally