Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrink LUN on production

KANSTANTSIN
Level 4
Partner

Hi there,

There is interesting task.

I have SFHA cluster with SQL server. SQL data files stored on IBM v7000 Storewize. I must shrink LUN.

No problem when I  shrinke volume in VEA, problem is when I want shrink LUN on Storage. When I did it on my test enviroment the VOLUME was destroed.
I do not have free space for new LUN.

Do Anybody how how it do correct?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Kanstantsin,

With SFW you can migrate to a new lun by using the mirror process.  You can also drag and drop the volume in "Disk View" to the new subdisk.

You didn't mention what version of SFW that you are using. If you are using 5.1 make sure that you are at SP2 with CP21. 

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It sounds as if the shrinking at storage level recreates/formats the lun as if it is new.

Have you checked with your Storage Vendor that shrinking can be performed on online luns/volumes?

KANSTANTSIN
Level 4
Partner

Yes, I did it. One time in Windows servers.

I think to try erase more free space on Storage for new LUN, because it is really danger - shrink volume. 

If there is free space, Can I migrate VOLUME to new disk when volume in production?

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Kanstantsin,

With SFW you can migrate to a new lun by using the mirror process.  You can also drag and drop the volume in "Disk View" to the new subdisk.

You didn't mention what version of SFW that you are using. If you are using 5.1 make sure that you are at SP2 with CP21. 

Thank you,

Wally

KANSTANTSIN
Level 4
Partner

I use SFHA 6.1.

If I will use evacuate disk in "Action" on old disk, is it the same?

Can I do it in production?

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Kanstantsin,

Yes, you can evacuate the disks and it will use the mirror technology to move the volume to a new lun/disk.

Thank you,

Wally