cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrink Volume operation does not support NTFS volumes greater than 2TB

unex
Level 3
Dear all,

I build a StripeSet with two 9.1TB (GPT) Drives on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 / SFW 5.1SP1.
Now I want to shrink the volume, but I got the error-message "Error V-76-58645-614 / The Shrink Volume operation does not support NTFS volumes greater than 2TB".
Is there a way to make the shrink option possible for volumes over 2TB? Maybe by build up another Dynamic Disk type or something?

Everything I found to that error-message is this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/333481.htm
And that are mostly things that I can't do... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi unex,

The Microsoft NTFS API calls that we use to shrink the volumes are limited to a 2TB max volume size.  Marrianne is correct that the only way to reclaim the space is with a backup/restore type of operation with a single volume of the size you are working with.  The problem with this approach is the time that it takes to do this process.  Disk based backups will go faster or if possible using new storage to move the data to will be even quicker but might have some other conciderations with your application(s) that are using the data on the volume.

Thanks,
Wally

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How much data is on the volume?
It seems to me the only possible solution is to backup the data, delete the volume and recreate a new, smaller volume. Restore data from backup.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi unex,

The Microsoft NTFS API calls that we use to shrink the volumes are limited to a 2TB max volume size.  Marrianne is correct that the only way to reclaim the space is with a backup/restore type of operation with a single volume of the size you are working with.  The problem with this approach is the time that it takes to do this process.  Disk based backups will go faster or if possible using new storage to move the data to will be even quicker but might have some other conciderations with your application(s) that are using the data on the volume.

Thanks,
Wally

unex
Level 3
Sorry for the late answer, I was some days out of office. 

@Marianne: There is no data on the volume right now. So you're right, the easy way is to delete the volume and start over with a small size. 
@Wally: Time is not the problem right now. But I thought maybe there is another way. 

My main idea with shrinking the volume was a little bit in the direction of Automatic Volume Growth to spend not to much free space to the users if completed projects will be transfered to the archive. 

Thanks for your answers.
unex