cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapback resync fails on 50%

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We are testing snapshot backups (using NetBackup) in a new environment (working fine in other installations).
Snapstart was done on volume, waited for sync to complete and backup started.
Backup process does the snapshot and mount of snapvol. Backup completes successful reading from snapvol.
After backup, volume is snapped back. DCO log sync completes, volume sync fails after 50% completion with this error:

Brief Description:
Resynchronization for \Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\tstonnas3\test failed to complete.
Details:
Mirror resynchronization of a volume failed to complete.
Recommended Action:
Please check the disks for availability or bad blocks.

There are no hardware errors in Event Viewer. Volume is left in degraded state.
We did a snap abort on the volume, checked that DCO logs have been removed, and restarted the snap.
Process is repeated as above with the same result.

SFW 5.1.

Any ideas what might be causing the failure on snapback?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rhanley
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

This may be related to a known issue in SFW 5.1 regarding the Snap Back operation failing due to an issue with the SmartMove feature. This is what allows replication to synch/resynch only the actual data on a volume and not the empty space. I have provided a link to a technical document that explains the issue, how to determine if your problem is related, how to workaround the issue, and lastly, it provides the private fix to resolve the issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312110

I would recommend reading this over to see if it is related to your issue.

I hope this helps,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rhanley
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

This may be related to a known issue in SFW 5.1 regarding the Snap Back operation failing due to an issue with the SmartMove feature. This is what allows replication to synch/resynch only the actual data on a volume and not the empty space. I have provided a link to a technical document that explains the issue, how to determine if your problem is related, how to workaround the issue, and lastly, it provides the private fix to resolve the issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312110

I would recommend reading this over to see if it is related to your issue.

I hope this helps,

Robert

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Robert
This definitely looks related!
We will 1st try to disable SmartMove and then test with the new dll.
Will update once tests completed.
Thanks!