cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Foundation 5.1 and MSCS not working

WarrenBrown
Level 2
Hi.  We want to use Storage Foundation 5.1 to manage our dual path disk.  We are clustering MS BizTalk 2006 so we need to use MSCS to Cluster BizTalk.  Problem is that MSCS cannot see the disk group created in SF.  We are using Windows 2003 Enterprise Server R2

We installed SF first and the disk groups appear fine.  Then we tried to configure MSCS and it could not see the disk.  During some investigation we discovered we needed the MSCS Option, so we added our "VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION OPTION MICROSOFT CLUSTER 5.1 WIN FOR OS TIER ENTERPRISE EDITION STD LIC" license key and it indicated that the MSCS option is available.  However, when we go back to Add/Remove programs to select this option, it does not appear as a choice in the add/remove SF options.

How should we proceed?  Is there a seperate plug in we need to download or should it appear in the list of options in the SF installation screen?

Do we need to have MSCS configured before we install SF so it can detect it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Warren
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jlockley
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Warren,

Nothing more is needed after installing SFW and adding the license key. 

I found this in the Admin guide for 5.1 (p516-7)
"Installing Microsoft Clustering support after SFW is already installed"

To summarise, starting on an inactive cluster node:
- go into Add or Remove Programs
- click on Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 for Windows and then "change".
- select radio button for Add or Remove, click next
- select Cluster Option for MSCS
- the wizard should finish
- go to another cluster node, move group for any online groups to the updated node
- repeat

I think SFW should have warned you if you tried to install a MSCS option license into SFW HA (the Veritas Cluster version) but check when you are running the wizard that it doesn't say "Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.1 for Windows" on the first dialog box when you select Add or Remove because that indicates the wrong installation files and MSCS option won't appear in this case. 

James.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jlockley
Level 3
Hi Warren,

Nothing more is needed after installing SFW and adding the license key. 

I found this in the Admin guide for 5.1 (p516-7)
"Installing Microsoft Clustering support after SFW is already installed"

To summarise, starting on an inactive cluster node:
- go into Add or Remove Programs
- click on Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 for Windows and then "change".
- select radio button for Add or Remove, click next
- select Cluster Option for MSCS
- the wizard should finish
- go to another cluster node, move group for any online groups to the updated node
- repeat

I think SFW should have warned you if you tried to install a MSCS option license into SFW HA (the Veritas Cluster version) but check when you are running the wizard that it doesn't say "Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.1 for Windows" on the first dialog box when you select Add or Remove because that indicates the wrong installation files and MSCS option won't appear in this case. 

James.

David_Veber
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Warren,

If SFW-HA is installed you will not see the option for MSCS/WFC. You must uninstall from this point and reinstall with just SFW(Not HA). HA will not show the MSCS option. The option shows under DMP, IF it says SFW-HA you will not see this option.

WarrenBrown
Level 2
Thank you everyone.  Once i installed SFW I see the MSCS option!

Warren

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4

Hi Warren,

I see this issue has been resolved. Can you please take a moment to mark this as resolved to move this from the "Unresolved" list?

Thank you,

Daniel