Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Foundation License

Graham_Dent
Not applicable

What actually happens on a Windows server when the license expires?:

Details:

The SFW product evaluation license installed on this computer has expired.

Recommended Action:

Please contact SYMANTEC or an authorized reseller to obtain the valid license for the product

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Graham,

It has been awhile since I've worked with an expired license key.  but here is what I remember.

For SFW, you will still be able to access data that is stored on a Secondary dynamic disk group.  However, you will not be able to perform any SFW related disk, clustering, or snapshot operations until the license key issue if fixed.

For SFW-HA, GAB and LLT will start.  However, HAD will even start but it will not join or form a cluster util the key issue is resolved.

The behavor has changed from version to version so keep that in mind if you are seeing slightly different expired key behavior.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

The HA service does not start. If you issue 'gabconfig -a' most probably only port a will be registered and open. If you manually try to run 'hastart' command, it will start and immediately stop and will register an event with the process 'had' in event viewer. This event will show you that your license has expired.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Graham,

It has been awhile since I've worked with an expired license key.  but here is what I remember.

For SFW, you will still be able to access data that is stored on a Secondary dynamic disk group.  However, you will not be able to perform any SFW related disk, clustering, or snapshot operations until the license key issue if fixed.

For SFW-HA, GAB and LLT will start.  However, HAD will even start but it will not join or form a cluster util the key issue is resolved.

The behavor has changed from version to version so keep that in mind if you are seeing slightly different expired key behavior.

Thanks,

Wally