cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Foundation for Windows Basic 5.1 SP2 on Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter (SP1)

Jason_Ruiz
Not applicable

Hello,

I downloaded the above product and trying to install on the above OS.  When it tries to verify the target system to install, it fails saying that the license is intended for Windows 2008 Enterprise and lower and cannot continue.

I called tech support and got shuffled back and forth between them, licensing and pre-sales support, only for all of them to say that they cannot support "trial ware" even though this page (http://www.symantec.com/business/storage-foundation-basic) says that it is a "free-license version".

Has anyone run into this?  I would like to get it installed and try it out.

Thank you.

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Jason,

SFW-Basic is a fully supported product.  With that in mind Technical Support does not handle the creation of license keys. However, the license key for SFW-Basic is on the download page.

The key on the download page that ends with PP3P does decode as a "Datacenter" version.  This means that it should work on Datacenter and lower versions of the OS.

The download page does mention that 5.1 SP2 does not need a key but I think that is for Unix/Linux versions.  As far as I know the Windows version for 5.1 SP2 still requires a license key to be entered. 

If you are using the PP3P license key and are still having the problem, please let me know.  I don't keep datacenter servers setup but I can set one up and test the installation of SFW-Basic if you are still having problems.

Also, please private message me with the support case ID that you were working with so that I can investigate what happened with that case.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AlanTLR
Level 5

Jason,

What architecture are you installing on?  Also, what is the name of the executable you are trying to download?  You should have a 631MB file named "VRTS_SF_Basic_5.1_SP2_Windows_64", if you're on a 64-bit system.

I've been able to install this on my Windows Server 2008R2 machine and I've noticed that I run into problems if I forget to right-click and click on "Run as Administrator."

--Alan

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Jason,

SFW-Basic is a fully supported product.  With that in mind Technical Support does not handle the creation of license keys. However, the license key for SFW-Basic is on the download page.

The key on the download page that ends with PP3P does decode as a "Datacenter" version.  This means that it should work on Datacenter and lower versions of the OS.

The download page does mention that 5.1 SP2 does not need a key but I think that is for Unix/Linux versions.  As far as I know the Windows version for 5.1 SP2 still requires a license key to be entered. 

If you are using the PP3P license key and are still having the problem, please let me know.  I don't keep datacenter servers setup but I can set one up and test the installation of SFW-Basic if you are still having problems.

Also, please private message me with the support case ID that you were working with so that I can investigate what happened with that case.

Thanks,

Wally

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

@ Jason  When it tries to verify the target system to install, it fails saying that the license is intended for Windows 2008 Enterprise and lower and cannot continue.

There may be some details with the error. Kindly share it

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Jason,

I just confirmed that SFW-Basic 5.1 SP2 comes with an embedded license key which is an Enterprise key.  As such, it will not allow installation on a Datacenter server. 

The website does list Datacenter as a supported OS for SFW-Basic.

I'm checking to see if there is a workaround that we can do to get this installed or if we will need a patch for the isntaller.  I'll let you know what I find out.  If there is not a workaround and a patch is needed, I will need a support case to be opened.

If you have a past case please private message me with the case ID so that I can check up on what was done with that case.

Thank you,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Jason,

The 6.0 product line was released this week.  I did test the SFW-Basic 6.0 and it does install on Datacenter.  Please give the SFW-Basic 6.0 a try.

I don't see SFW-Basic 6.0 available on the http://www.symantec.com/business/storage-foundation-basic site yet.  We are working on posting it so please check the site and it should be up there shortly.

Thanks,

Wally