Did you mean: 

Unable to add disk in Dynamic disk group

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello,

I have installed SF 5.1 SP1 for windows on windows 2003. My disk layout is:
Disk 0 C: OS
Disk 1 D; SQL Installation and Database (Extended partition)
Disk 2 E; replication logs. (Primary)

When I tried to add Disk 1 and to dynamic disk group it was giving error that your partition geomatary will be changed you need to delete the partition and re create the partition.

Can any one help !

Regards,
Sydmt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Hello,

Thanks for the help,

Actually, the problem was appearing because of the extendend partition, I delete the partition and create as a primary partition.
after that I am able to add volume in the dynamic disk group.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

David_Honeycutt
Level 4
Employee

Hi Sydmt,

Are Disk 1 & 2 on Shared Storage or are they internal disk on the server?

Normally, when trying to add a disk with an Extended Partition to a Dynamic Disk Group, a message appears to Confirm the upgrade of the disk to dynamic.

Is there a specific reason an Extended Partition was used for the D:\ ? If not, perhaps you may consider deleting the Partition, adding the Disk to a Dynamic Disk and then creating a new Volume to accommodate the D:\ as a Concatenated Dynamic Volume.

Thanks,
Dave

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Disks are internal ones, and there is no such message appears while doing the same.
There is no specific need or reason for extended partition.

This error appears only when I tried to add extended partition Hard disk only.

I have attached the error message.

Regards,
Syed

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I found the following in the Admin Guide:

- You receive an error about disk geometry
If you receive an error about disk geometry when you are trying to upgrade a basic disk to a dynamic disk and the disk does not upgrade, the geometry on the disk is inconsistent with the disk geometry used on the current Windows operating system. If the disk is not upgraded, Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows maintains the disk with its current partition structure; but if the partition structure is changed in any way, the disk partitions and their data become inaccessible.
The following describes the fix for the situation:
■ Back up all your data from the affected disk.
■ Delete all partitions on the disk.
■ Upgrade the disk to dynamic.
■ Create volumes on the disk.
■ Restore your data to the disk.
It is very likely that you have a disk that was created under NT 4.0 with partitions on it and this disk has a different geometry because it was attached to a secondary host bus adapter with the BIOS turned off and mapping features turned off.

Once you have done the above steps, the disk will have the proper geometry and can still be connected to the secondary host adapter with the BIOS and mapping features turned off. The geometry problem was the result of the change from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000. It is a known problem and is discussed in more detail on the Microsoft web site.

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Hello,

Thanks for the help,

Actually, the problem was appearing because of the extendend partition, I delete the partition and create as a primary partition.
after that I am able to add volume in the dynamic disk group.

Regards,