cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Unable to go offline

macias_marlon
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a problem when I try to take offline a Service Group, the issue is that one of the services of the service group, cannot go offline and it enters into the following state "Unable to offline|Status Unknow", and if I wanna this service to go offline I help killing it with the windows task manager. Attached you will find a picture with the description of the trouble, any suggestions or cues how to solve this issue I kindly appreciate it!

Thank you

Marlon

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VCS tries to offline the resource by stopping the service.  If the service hangs in the "Stopping" state then this indicates an issue with the service.  i.e if you tried to stop the service in Windows services and it hangs in the stopping state then there is no "force stop" in windows services and you would have to kill the process as you are having to do with VCS.

You can create a resnotoff event trigger (see "resnotoff event trigger" in the VCS admin guide) which would involve writing a batch script or perl script to kill the process and the trigger is invoked when a resource can't offline.  There is a sample resnotoff in \program files\VERITAS\cluster server\bin\Sample_Triggers which shuts down server if resource cannot be offlined, but you don't have to use this code (which is how the admin guide reads), you can replace the code with whatever you want.  The resnotoff script is passed the system name and the resource name so you would have to determine what process to kill from the resource name.

But you rbest course of action is to find out why your service does not stop properly.

Mike

View solution in original post

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

VCS for Windows also has a process agent that allows you to script the start, stop and monitor entry points.  This could be used to create an offline that would try the correct net stop command and then if that did not stop the services it could then do a taskkill command to end the service.  However, the best way to move forward is like Mike said and determine why the service is not able to stop cleanly on its own.  Killing the service may cause data loss or startup issues with the service or other unknown issues with it not stopping correctly.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VCS tries to offline the resource by stopping the service.  If the service hangs in the "Stopping" state then this indicates an issue with the service.  i.e if you tried to stop the service in Windows services and it hangs in the stopping state then there is no "force stop" in windows services and you would have to kill the process as you are having to do with VCS.

You can create a resnotoff event trigger (see "resnotoff event trigger" in the VCS admin guide) which would involve writing a batch script or perl script to kill the process and the trigger is invoked when a resource can't offline.  There is a sample resnotoff in \program files\VERITAS\cluster server\bin\Sample_Triggers which shuts down server if resource cannot be offlined, but you don't have to use this code (which is how the admin guide reads), you can replace the code with whatever you want.  The resnotoff script is passed the system name and the resource name so you would have to determine what process to kill from the resource name.

But you rbest course of action is to find out why your service does not stop properly.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

VCS for Windows also has a process agent that allows you to script the start, stop and monitor entry points.  This could be used to create an offline that would try the correct net stop command and then if that did not stop the services it could then do a taskkill command to end the service.  However, the best way to move forward is like Mike said and determine why the service is not able to stop cleanly on its own.  Killing the service may cause data loss or startup issues with the service or other unknown issues with it not stopping correctly.

Thank you,

Wally