cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SFW HA 4.3 to HA 5.1SP1a and SQL to 2008

NM_Systems_Team
Level 3

Hi,

The "Veritas Storage Foundation™ and High Availability Solutions Installation and Upgrade Guide Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008  5.1 SP1" document appears to give conflicting directions when upgrading both the SFWHA and SQL Server :

Page 202:
If you plan to upgrade both Microsoft SQL Server and SFW HA, first upgrade Microsoft SQL Server, and then follow with the upgrade to SFW HA 5.1. For additional information:

■ See “Upgrading from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005” on page 226.
■ See “Upgrading from Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005 to Microsoft SQL Server 2008” on page 228

Page 229:
Ensure that you do the following before proceeding with the upgrade tasks:

■ Take a backup of the SQL databases.
■ In case of a Disaster Recovery environment, ensure that the databases at the primary and secondary sites are synchronized.
Ensure that you have installed SFW HA 5.1 Application Pack 1 for Windows and the VCS database agents for SQL 2008, on all the SQL service group cluster nodes that you want to upgrade.

So... How can you upgrade SQL before upgrading to SFW HA5.1 and yet install the SFW HA5.1 Application Pack 1 before upgrading SQL?

Our plan calls for upgrading SFW HA from 4.3MP1 to 4.3MP2 then to 5.1SP1a with AP1, after which we will upgrade SQL server from 2000 to 2008 R2, possibly a week later.

Cheers,
Scott.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Scott, I agree with you - the documentation does seem confusing.
If I look at the software compatibility guides, your approach seems to be the most logical one: first upgrade SFW/HA, then SQL.
The SCL for 4.3 (ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/286591.pdf) only supports SQL 2000 and 2005, whereas 5.1 suports all versions of SQL, from 2000 up to 2008 ( ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337682.pdf).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Hi Scott, I agree with you - the documentation does seem confusing.
If I look at the software compatibility guides, your approach seems to be the most logical one: first upgrade SFW/HA, then SQL.
The SCL for 4.3 (ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/286591.pdf) only supports SQL 2000 and 2005, whereas 5.1 suports all versions of SQL, from 2000 up to 2008 ( ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337682.pdf).

NM_Systems_Team
Level 3
Thanks Marianne,

It makes sense, but b4 we begin, has anyone else come across this? When acting on a "logical" conclusion, we are dependant on how much information was available to arrive at that conclusion - therefore, does anyone have any information to suggest otherwise?
Cheers,
Scott.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Scott,

Thank you for pointing out the problem with the stpes listed in the Installation and Upgrade Guide.  I have craeted an incident to have our Documentation team review and correct this in the guide.

Marianne's feed back is the correct upgrade process for your situation.  I don't think the guide took into account that you would not be upgrading SFW-HA and SQL at the same time. 

Thanks,
Wally

NM_Systems_Team
Level 3
Thanks Wally, problem solved.

One more question however - in my original post I mentioned using SQL 2008 R2 but Marianne mentioned 2008, and no documentation I've read so far discusses SQL 2008 R2 - Is R2 (SQL Server 2008 R2 that is) supported on SFW HA5.1SP1AP1 and would the upgrade process be the same as for SQL Server 2008 or is new documentation pending?

Cheers,
Scott.

Marianne

Hi Scott
I managed to find pdf's for SQL 2008:
https://vos.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP1/Windows/ProductGuides/

HA and Disaster Recovery Solutions Guide for Microsoft SQL 2008
Microsoft Clustering Solutions Guide for Microsoft SQL 2008
Quick Recovery Solutions Guide for Microsoft SQL 2008

NM_Systems_Team
Level 3
Hi All
Thanks again Marianne,

I have the pdfs for SQL 2008 (first release) already. On about 6 May 2010, Microsoft released SQL Server 2008 R2. This is effectively a new version of SQL Server, just as Windows Server 2008R2 is the new version of Windows Server 2008 (although the SQL R2 includes both 32-and-64-bit).

I'm trying to confirm whether the new SQL R2 is compatible with SFW HA 5.1SP1AP1.  (that is, does it behave the same as the first release, and will SFW recognise it as such?) If not, we'll have to install the original SQL 2008 now, and then upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 in another process down the track once it's supported.

Cheers,
Scott

Marianne

Apologies Scott. It was actually clear from your 1st post that you are a 'manual reader' smiley.
According to the SCL, R2 is not yet supported : ( ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Sto...).
Best to sign up for notification on VOS - support should be introduced with an upcoming SFW update. SCL will updated when product update is released.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Scott,

Symantec is planning on supporting SQL 2008 R2 with the the 5.1 SP2 release.  I don't have a specific date for the release of 5.1 SP2 but I would look for it be released by the end of the year (don't hold me to that timeframe as I don't have anything to do with the actual releasing of software.)

Thanks,
Wally