Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS on VMWare?

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

All,

I'm in the process of doing some testing in our lab. Due to hardware limitations (labs are always the last to get updated hardware...) I have to run my Windows 2008 64bit systems on VM's using VMWare 3.5.

I've got SFHA 5.1 SP1 successfully installed. I provisioned 5 10GB LUNs from the NetApp to the virtual hosts, and created Raw Data Mapped drives through to the virtual system. The 2008 VM sees the disks fine, and even recognizes that they're on a NetApp.

The problem is, that when I try to create a clustered disk group with those LUNs, I get the dreaded error V-76-58645-525:

"The disk can not be imported as a member of a cluster dynamic disk group because it is not on a shared bus."

Am I missing something simple? Can this be done?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EJameson
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hello Mark,

There are a few different causes for this error to come about. I've listed potential reasons below; however, I've also listed the most common resolution to this issue as well.

Possible causes and Solution:

1. The disk is on the same bus as the system disk, which means it might be located on disks that are local to the system. This check ensures that cluster dynamic groups are created using only shared disks.

2. System boot disk is on a SAN that is on the same bus as the other shared disks. If this is the case, you can use information at the bottom of this post to resolve the issue.

3. The diskgroup is currently a Windows compatible diskgroup. (Either created using LDM before having SFW installed or just created as Windows compatible using SFW) If this is the case, you will need to import the diskgroup then right-click on the diskgroup and upgrade the diskgroup version to allow it to be imported as a cluster dynamic disk group. (It's a feature not supported by Windows compatible disk group version)

The steps below are commonly used to resolve this issue. I would suggest utilizing these steps first.

This error will occur if Storage Foundation detects that the system disk is sharing the same port as one of the disks to be imported into the cluster disk group.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt

2. Type vxclus usesystembus ON and hit Enter. The following message will appear:

"V-77-57616-50026: WARNING: By enabling UseSystemBus you are going to create
cluster diskgroup on the disks which are connected to System/
Boot bus. Do you want to continue(Y/N)?"

3. Type y and hit Enter. The following message will appear:

"V-77-57616-4046: [hostname] Enabled UseSystemBus support."

These steps will need to be performed on all nodes in the cluster. It is now possible to create a cluster disk group without receiving the error.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jay Jameson

Symantec Technical Support Engineer

Symantec Corp.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

EJameson
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hello Mark,

There are a few different causes for this error to come about. I've listed potential reasons below; however, I've also listed the most common resolution to this issue as well.

Possible causes and Solution:

1. The disk is on the same bus as the system disk, which means it might be located on disks that are local to the system. This check ensures that cluster dynamic groups are created using only shared disks.

2. System boot disk is on a SAN that is on the same bus as the other shared disks. If this is the case, you can use information at the bottom of this post to resolve the issue.

3. The diskgroup is currently a Windows compatible diskgroup. (Either created using LDM before having SFW installed or just created as Windows compatible using SFW) If this is the case, you will need to import the diskgroup then right-click on the diskgroup and upgrade the diskgroup version to allow it to be imported as a cluster dynamic disk group. (It's a feature not supported by Windows compatible disk group version)

The steps below are commonly used to resolve this issue. I would suggest utilizing these steps first.

This error will occur if Storage Foundation detects that the system disk is sharing the same port as one of the disks to be imported into the cluster disk group.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt

2. Type vxclus usesystembus ON and hit Enter. The following message will appear:

"V-77-57616-50026: WARNING: By enabling UseSystemBus you are going to create
cluster diskgroup on the disks which are connected to System/
Boot bus. Do you want to continue(Y/N)?"

3. Type y and hit Enter. The following message will appear:

"V-77-57616-4046: [hostname] Enabled UseSystemBus support."

These steps will need to be performed on all nodes in the cluster. It is now possible to create a cluster disk group without receiving the error.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jay Jameson

Symantec Technical Support Engineer

Symantec Corp.