cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSF 4.3 upgrade to MP2 help

DJTan
Level 2
Hi everyone,

I am very new to Veritas Storage Foundation and I need your assistance greatly. We have 2 nodes windows 2003 Ent. cluster with Veritas Storage Foundation ver 4.3.1000.350 (from "about server" menu) installed. There is "Paths" tab when viewing the Disks group, so I assume we also have DMP installed? Here are my questions:
1) How to tell if the version is "Veritas Storage Foundation" or "Veritas Storage Foundation HA"?
2) How to tell if we have MP1 installed?

From our current version, we are asked to upgrade to 4.3 MP2 to fix a bug. The MP2 file has 2 versions, the one with "HA" and the one with none. So back to question #1 above, can anyone tell me what our version is. Or, how to check the version. My next questions:
3) If our version doesn't have MP1, can we upgrade to MP2 directly? or do we need to upgrade to MP1 first, then MP2?
4) Any KB or guide for such upgrade?
5) Any known tips/warning about such upgrade for version 4.3?

I apologize for the long post, and any help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Don
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I apreciate when users ask questions and not merely click 'setup.exe'.
I was battling to find you documentation, since 4.3 is EOL.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277461.htm:
On January 31, 2010 Standard support for Storage Foundation 4.x for Windows has ended. END OF SUPPORT LIFE is June 18, 2011.
All Releases for Storage Foundation 4.x ... are no longer available for public download as these versions have entered the partial support phase. Please contact support for additional information and availability.

I managed to find the following:
Release Notes for 4.3 MP2 (incl installation instructions)
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/288546.pdf

To see what version you have installed, have a look at Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

If you are running Microsoft Cluster, you should be using Storage Foundation. HA is Veritas Cluster.

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I apreciate when users ask questions and not merely click 'setup.exe'.
I was battling to find you documentation, since 4.3 is EOL.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277461.htm:
On January 31, 2010 Standard support for Storage Foundation 4.x for Windows has ended. END OF SUPPORT LIFE is June 18, 2011.
All Releases for Storage Foundation 4.x ... are no longer available for public download as these versions have entered the partial support phase. Please contact support for additional information and availability.

I managed to find the following:
Release Notes for 4.3 MP2 (incl installation instructions)
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/288546.pdf

To see what version you have installed, have a look at Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

If you are running Microsoft Cluster, you should be using Storage Foundation. HA is Veritas Cluster.

Hope this helps...

DJTan
Level 2
Hi Marianne, thank you for posting. You answered my questions, I'm grateful. Ah yes, we know it's no longer supported, but we need to upgrade it to MP2 to fix a bug now. These hardware will be migrated to new ones with newest Veritas version in few months. 

I just checked the Add/Remove and I see:
VERITAS Storage Foundation 4.3 for Windows (Client Components)
VERITAS Storage Foundation 4.3 for Windows (Server Components)
VERITAS Storage Foundation 4.3 Maintenance Pack 1 for Windows

So you're right, we have the non HA version. 

Many thanks again :)

Reid_Scheuneman
Level 3
Employee Accredited
DJTan-

Good morning just to add to what Marianne has posted you can update the passive node first in an MSCS cluster and then failover and update the active node. Within the MP2 download there is a Release Notes PDF that will walk you through the installation. Overall the installation is pretty straightforward.
Just an FYI the multipathing solution that you have in place is ASL DMP, if your array does Active/Active then you may want to consider to moving to DSM DMP that uses the built in MPIO framework found in windows 2003.

Here is the link to the latest version; this will require changing the HBA drivers to Storport Miniport drivers.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304836
 - Device Driver Installation Package 6.1 (DDI-6.1) for Veritas Storage Foundation (tm) (SFW) 4.3 MP1 (Maintenance Pack) and MP2 for Windows

Please let us know if there is anything else you have questions on.

Sincerely,

Reid Scheunemann

DJTan
Level 2
Hi Reid, thanks for the info. FYI, our cluster servers use Hitachi-Emulex Storport Miniport drivers, but I don't know if it is ASL DMP or DSM DMP. How to check? There is HBAnyware installed but not sure how to check/find the information. Thanks again!