cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Storage Foundation hang after backup offline by BESR 8.5.2

Khawpuun
Not applicable

Currenly, I used storage Foundation HA 5.0 on the Windows Server 2003. So I had to Backup offline Drive C: by BESR 8.5 which process of the backup is successfuly. After that I tried to restart the server but the server not found SAN Drive. I checked SFW server which abnormality to following,

1. Service Vxffdc status "Starting". Cannot manual start service refer: pic 1

2. Cannot start connect to SFW refer: pic 2

3. Veritas Storage Agent status "Starting" Cannot manual start service.

However, This case I could be troubleshooting by uninstalled and reinstall SFW.

Q: I would like to know the solution for this case by do not reinstall SFW .

Q: BESR 8.5.2 Compatibility with Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0 or not ?

Reference : Status service SFW after backup offline :Pic_3

Thank you for the answer.

5 REPLIES 5

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Khawpuun,

Can you please provide more details on what you are doing?

It sounds like you might have done a restore of the c: drive and system state from a backup done with BESR.  If this is the case then you will need to uninstall and reinstall SFW/SFW-HA to get it to work correctly.  This does not have anything to do with BESR or SFW but it is a limitation of the OS by Microsoft.  Microsoft does not allow certian types of kernel based drivers to be backuped or restored.  SFW drivers fall into this catagory as well as HBA drivers.  As such, they can not be backuped and restored to working state without being reinstalled.

If you are actually doing just a backup of the drive (not a restore), then there should should be no change to the actual files on the drive and the server should work as expected when rebooted.

Thanks,

Wally

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How exactly do you take drive C offline?

Software compatibility list can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50174

According to the SCL 9.x and 10.x is supported, but I doubt that the problem is with compatibility...

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi

TECH72608 goes into some details on the issues with restoring systems with SFW installed.  It also explains the registry keys that Microsoft has for all backup products to know what not to restore.

While the tech note does cover some steps on how to recover without needing to uninstall/reinstall, I still perfer to reinstall SFW/SFW-HA to be sure everything is installed correctly and working as expected.

Here is a link to the tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72608

Thanks,

Wally

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

This mirrors my own experience of backing up and restoring SFWHA servers (though using Backup Exec) - strange things happen! Though at least they happen consistently.

criley
Employee Accredited

By 'offline backup', I assume you mean via the SRD? If yes, this sounds like an issue that is currently under investigation.

It is supported by the way:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65119

I would recommend that you open a case with technical support as we may need more customer data in order to find the root cause and provide a fix.

Hope that helps.