cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Vmware instead of real servers works in HA 5.0

Sridhar_sri
Level 5

Hi ,
         I have made a setup using HA 5.0 solution between 2 real server. I have configure replication network for replicate the data`s and clustering for HA support. If in case, I have used virtual machines created by VMware ESX server and use this replication network and custering , will it work ?

Regards,

Sridhar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes, that will work. However, do note that we currently do not support Windows 2008 SP2 with SFW HA. (VCS)
Only Windows 2008SP1 is supported if you wish to use our HA solution. (this will change with future update)
If you do plan on using the Windows failover clustering instead of VCS, Windows 2008 SP2 is supported with SFW.

But other than that note, the theory that you presented is definitely possible and should work as expected if setup correctly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Yes, it actually does and works as expected even within the virtual machines.  
It's also mentioned in out software compatibility list here - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302145.htm
We regularly use it to setup our test lab. But I also have seen customers using it in their production.

Jay

Sridhar_sri
Level 5
HI,
           Thanks for the quick update. One more information needed related to this setup. I am going to place storage array and make these two virtual servers point to that storage array. Hence there is no need for replication network in between. 

Can you please point me to any document / reference links such as to configure HA setup in this model ?

Thanks,
Sri.

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Hi Sri, there isn't any specific ESX VCS setup document as far as I know but the process is near identical to a physical setup so I feel there is no need. (as SFWHA doesn't know that it is running in a virtual environment) So just setup the ESX VMs as needed with right number of NICs / IP address and shared disks, then install SFWHA and configure it as you did on the physical servers.

Jay

Sridhar_sri
Level 5
Thanks Kim. That sounds good. so this is how I am going to make the setup. Please confirm whether this work fine or not.

Veri_SAN.GIF
As per this diagram, I am going to install ESX on those two servers followed by Virtual OS in that server. The virtual OS I have chosen as Windows 2008. I wil create phycial conncetion from the two servers to the SAN. Here SAN is nothing but an storage array which i am using. Now i am going to install my product on Storage array. For example let that be my SQL database. I have installed Veritas on my 2 servers and configured the Cluster. This is an HA setup, hence i have configured both the servers under a single cluster.

I have configuered a disk group called datadg which holds the disk group for the volumes that are pointing to the space in the storage array. I ahve imported datadg in Server 1 and deported the same in server 2 (this is because as the resource group is failover) . If in case due to any case server 1 goes down, datadg in server 2 will be brought up and my product is ready to server.

I think this setup will work fine. Please confirm.

Thanks,
Sri

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Yes, that will work. However, do note that we currently do not support Windows 2008 SP2 with SFW HA. (VCS)
Only Windows 2008SP1 is supported if you wish to use our HA solution. (this will change with future update)
If you do plan on using the Windows failover clustering instead of VCS, Windows 2008 SP2 is supported with SFW.

But other than that note, the theory that you presented is definitely possible and should work as expected if setup correctly.

Sridhar_sri
Level 5
Thanks four your confirmation. i will mark the above thread as the solution for this thread.

Regards,
Sri