cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a solution on Veritas Storage foundation HA

VIVEK_R
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Please suggest a disaster recovery plan for 1 Oracle Application and 1 Database Server from primary to secondary. I have dedicated bandwith between primary and the remote site

There is a need to replicate the ERP and users data to the remote server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need SFHA with HA/DR option (this lets you do GCO or RDC) and VVR license.

If you want to be able to do space optimised snapshots so you can do a firedrill at DR site, then you need SFHA Enterprise license, otherwise you can use SFHA Standard.

Is 1MBit/s enough, this is only about 450 MBytes an hour which as in previous posts needs to be divided by about 3 for Oracle data and with a small amount for VVR headers too, so this will probably allow for about 130MB an hour (about 30% of 450) for Oracle data.

You can download vradisor tool to help you with calculations, but I would guess there are also tools in Oracle to tell you how much is being written.

Note, in any of these calculations of write bandwidth, I would advise treating Oracle temp separately and not replicating temp volumes when configuring VVR.  I have had customers where temp only constitutes about 2% in terms of space, but 50% to 90% of writes and in these instances it is important to exclude temp dbspaces.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are replicating both Oracle and non_Oracle data then I would use VVR with GCO or in an RDS if your DR site is close (search posts for GCO or RDC for comparing the 2).

If you are low on bandwidth or your database writes a lot, then you may want to consider using Oracle Data Gaurd rather than VVR (still with VCS and GCO/RDC) as ODG replicates a lot less data than VVR as ODG only replicated logs, but VVR also replicates data, archive logs and redo segments, so usually replicates about 3 times as much data.  But if bandwidth allows, then I find VVR easier to manage, more robust and easier to run a firedrill (test DR site on a snapshot of data while primary is still running).

Also with SF, you should utilise Veritas ODM library to give you raw like performance on filesystems (this is free with SF)

Mike

VIVEK_R
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an 1MB dedicated bandwidth for this replication to happen.

I am new to storage foundation,so can you kindly help me with the vrts licenses that are to be purchased for VVR and GCO.

Thanks in advance.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need SFHA with HA/DR option (this lets you do GCO or RDC) and VVR license.

If you want to be able to do space optimised snapshots so you can do a firedrill at DR site, then you need SFHA Enterprise license, otherwise you can use SFHA Standard.

Is 1MBit/s enough, this is only about 450 MBytes an hour which as in previous posts needs to be divided by about 3 for Oracle data and with a small amount for VVR headers too, so this will probably allow for about 130MB an hour (about 30% of 450) for Oracle data.

You can download vradisor tool to help you with calculations, but I would guess there are also tools in Oracle to tell you how much is being written.

Note, in any of these calculations of write bandwidth, I would advise treating Oracle temp separately and not replicating temp volumes when configuring VVR.  I have had customers where temp only constitutes about 2% in terms of space, but 50% to 90% of writes and in these instances it is important to exclude temp dbspaces.

Mike