cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

soft vs. hard

IkerSilva
Level 2
Hello!
I was asking on other places, but I`m gathering the different opinions. I`m working in the middle size business. We`re looking for shared storage I`m considering what iSCSI solution is better if compare of price and functionality - software or hardware? And what vendor is more reliable?
6 REPLIES 6

IkerSilva
Level 2
Anyone? I don`t think that it`s really hard.

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I wish I could answer but I only get exposure to customers who calls support so it doesn't represent the whole market.
I see many using Netapp or Microsoft target/initiator combinations but I am not knowledgeable enough to comment much more.
Maybe this question is best to be asked in a more storage solution oriented forums elsewhere...

JunaSpets
Not applicable
If it`s a general question, then I`d preffer sowtware solution for SMB. It will save your money by using your existing network, what meens that you don`t need to purchse additional HDDs, wires, anything.

IkerSilva
Level 2
Thats good. I`ve googled for a while, and basing on this and answears, given to me on other communities I know that the most reliable vendors are StarWind, DataCore and Lefthand. Can someone tell something about them?

IkerSilva
Level 2
OK. Report:
I`ve tested all of vendors, and it seems like StarWind and Lefthand is the most reliable, but Lefthand is pretty expensive.
Thank you all.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Microsoft released the new 2008 storage server that can act as an iSCSI target.  THus WIndows ease of use, and iSCSI target capabilities.  This is only sold on OEM systems from the likes of Dell and HP.  

Lefthand is quite a bit more expensive.

What something cheap, perhaps try freenas or open-e.  

After that, a Dell MD3000i is an inexpensive solution too.