cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows volume manger DG creation issue

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

I am trying to create a disk group on windows 2008 and when I try to create, it was throwing the error like  below

" No Space for private region on disk"

I shrink the volume by 3 meg  and I  try to create and got same error.

Do I need updat or enable some thing? I am doing it via VEA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you for qucik reply.

It's a bug from 6.1,  it will report as you need 1MB for private region, actually it needs 16MB. If you shrink by 16MB, it will work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I shrink the volume by 3 meg  and I  try to create and got same error.

If you already have a volume on this disk, it means it is already in a dg?

Please show us output of this command from cmd (remember to open cmd with 'Run as Administrator):

vxdisk list

Copy the text in the output, then paste it here and highlight the disk you are having a problem with.

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you for qucik reply.

It's a bug from 6.1,  it will report as you need 1MB for private region, actually it needs 16MB. If you shrink by 16MB, it will work.

Dan_Knowles
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Mokkan,

This isn't a bug, but a change required by the architectural changes required to implement CVM on Windows.

The basic rule of thumb to follow when encapulating a pre-existing partition(s) into a Disk Group:

MBR disk:

Pre-6.1 -> requires 1MB of space at the end of the disk to create the Private Region.

6.1 and later -> requires 16MB of space at the end of the disk to create the Private Region.

GPT disk:

The space required is taken out of the pre-existing Microsoft Reserved Region which is already subtantial enough to cover all cases.

An additional note: Disk groups created on pre 6.1 versions do not need to grow the private region to upgrade to the 6.1 Disk group version, so you don't need the additional space in this circumstance.

Dan

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

I understand that part. The reason why I said was, the error should come and say needs 16MB for private region, but error says 1MB.  The error message needs to be fixed. Did you get my point?

Dan_Knowles
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Apologies, I missed that part!

Yes, the message is wrong and has been reported to be fixed for next release.  Apologies again for my mistake!

Dan

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

No problem, I just wanted to let you know :)