cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All configuration copies lost

ToSchnei
Level 2

Hello,

due to an annoying hardware failure (both air conditioning and temperature monitor failed during night) we lost one filer of a mirrored Veritas file system.

Our main problem is that all five configuration copies were initially placed only onto the defective filer. Don't ask me who did such "smart" things.

Of course trying to import the disk group fails:

VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-587 Disk group xxx: import failed: Disk group has no valid configuration copies

My question: Is there a way to restore the configuration to a different disk/different disks? Backups (/etc/vx/cbr/bk/*) of the last five valid configurations exist.

I could not see a way of making vxconfigrestore use something else than the hard disks that where used during creation of the disk group.

TIA!

Regards, Torsten

2 REPLIES 2

springer
Level 4

hi

its a long process but u can ,,, basiclaly

vxdisk -f init all disks in diskgroup

vxdg init <dg> disk1 disk 2 etc    basiclaly re-create dg same names and values before

cat  /etc/vx/cbr/bk/oradg.1071722106.138.gopal/1071722106.138.gopal.cfgrec  |  vxprint -D - -rth 

above will show u exnaple of what vxprint looks like from bin config 

re-direct above to a file and then

cat file | vxprint -m -g dgname > vxprint_m_dg.save

Next properly create the properly formatted file for use with vxmake:

# cat vxprint_m_dg.save | vxprint -D - -mvphsr > make_dgname.out

The file make_dgname.out can now be used to rebuild the disk group configuration.

vxmake -g datadg -d make_dgname.out

vxvol -g datadg -f startvolname

Now above is quick overveiw f procedure .... it has been a while for me so i suggest you test this on a testdg and validate all steps

ToSchnei
Level 2

Hi,

thanks a lot! It worked after modifying (and maybe simplifying) it a little bit.

Actually, what I did was the following:

vxdisk init -f disk1 disk2 ....

vxdg init dgname disk1 disk2 ....

vxprint -D - -mvphsr <original.cfgrec >myvxmake.mk

vxmake -g dgname -d myvxmake.mk

vxvol -g dgname start volname

I hat to do an additional step because the disks were renamed, so I had to invoke vxedit several times before vxmake worked.

As far as I can see right now no data was lost. Currently rebuilding the mirrors is in progess.

Torsten