cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question on vxdisk list ..

SF_learner
Level 2

Hi All,

This is my first post in the community & I am very new to Veritas, please excuse me if questions are of layman category

I have a AIX server with volume manager 5.1, I am trying to understand the "vxdisk list" output. I visited the SORT site to see the documents, found volume manager admin guide

https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1/AIX/ProductGuides/

From below output

# vxdisk list
DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
hdisk1 auto:sliced disk1 mydg online
hdisk2 auto:sliced disk2 mydg online
hdisk3 auto:sliced disk3 mydg online
hdisk4 auto:sliced disk4 mydg online

What is Disk Access Name & What is Disk Media name ? what is the purpose of both ?

Thanks
Nee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

Disk access name is the first column in above output "hdisk1" etc which indicates the disk names volume manager has already scanned & detected. This name depends on two things

1. What array support library has installed & claimed the devices.  Array Support Library (ASL) is like a driver for the stroage which helps VxVM to efficiently work with storage

2. What is the naming scheme you have selected in Veritas, there are 2 possibilities, OSN (Operating system Naming) or EBN (enclosure based naming)

Disk Media name is the third column where you can give more meaningful name to a disk. Consider a system with 1000 disks, it will be difficult for you to identify which disk belongs to which diskgroup, so you can give meaningful name like oradg01 which will indicate that disk belongs to oracle dg & used for database. VxVM will use disk access & media names in various commands, you need to learn to map them both each other using "vxdisk list" output or "vxdisk -e list" output

lastly, keep reading the guide, will help you build lot of basics & understanding on the product.

G

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

Disk access name is the first column in above output "hdisk1" etc which indicates the disk names volume manager has already scanned & detected. This name depends on two things

1. What array support library has installed & claimed the devices.  Array Support Library (ASL) is like a driver for the stroage which helps VxVM to efficiently work with storage

2. What is the naming scheme you have selected in Veritas, there are 2 possibilities, OSN (Operating system Naming) or EBN (enclosure based naming)

Disk Media name is the third column where you can give more meaningful name to a disk. Consider a system with 1000 disks, it will be difficult for you to identify which disk belongs to which diskgroup, so you can give meaningful name like oradg01 which will indicate that disk belongs to oracle dg & used for database. VxVM will use disk access & media names in various commands, you need to learn to map them both each other using "vxdisk list" output or "vxdisk -e list" output

lastly, keep reading the guide, will help you build lot of basics & understanding on the product.

G

SF_learner
Level 2

Than You....