Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVMVolDg resource goes offline in VCS but disk group is still imported

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

I have a SF RAC 5.1 SP1 setup on Solaris 10 with Oracle RAC 11G R2. The cluster consists of a 2 node primary and a single node secondary using GCO and EMC SRDF agent for replication.

When the global resource group goes down (when brough offline to switch over), the shared disk groups are still in an imported state (CVMVolDG resource has the correct volume and DG names). The logs show the CVMVolDg resource as going offline and show no errors in either the engine log or the voldg agent log. CVMDeportOnOffline is set to 0. Has anyone faced this issue? Thanks.

SW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Deporting a diskgroup in CVM deports diskgroup on all nodes and therefore normally the CVMVolDg resource does not deport the diskgroup as this would not be possible if another node still had filesystems mounted, so the CVMVolDg resource normally just sets activation mode to off for that node.

The way this used to work with SRDF in GCO is that you would create "SupportedActions" on the CVMVolDg resource of "import" and "deport" and this handles deport of diskgroup which is required so that you can do an SDRF role swap.  I think the CVMVolDg action is called by the SRDF agent when it onlines on remote node using cross-cluster communication.

However in 5.1SP1, I see that a new "CVMDeportOnOffline" has been added, so maybe this can be used in stead o the CVMVolDG actions. Note if you use set this attribute to 1, then the diskgroup will only be deported when the CVMVolDg resources offlines on the last node.  It took a while to find CVMVolDg agent definition as it has moved from cfs_admin guide in 5.0 to cfs_install in 5.1 and I tried to look find an SRDF 5.1SP1 doc, but I couldn't find it, so I don't know if this means if it is has been moved elsewhere or the agent has not changed from 5.1 to SP1.

If the SRDF agent still works the way it used to then the installation of the SDRF agent will have created an actions directory in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/CVMVolDG which should contain 3 scripts "deport", "import" and "vxdctlenable" - this being the case, follow the instructions in the SDRF install & config guide which is basically:

haconf -makerw

hatype -modify CVMVolDg SupportedActions import deport vxdctlenable

haconf -dump -makero 

If this is not the case, then you should check 5.1SP1 SRDF guide to see if you are supposed to use the CVMDeportOnOffline attribute, or you could just try setting this to 1.

As you have CVMDeportOnOffline set to zero then I would not expect diskgroup to offline so VCS is doing the right thing (if you have not setup CVMVolDg action scripts)

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Deporting a diskgroup in CVM deports diskgroup on all nodes and therefore normally the CVMVolDg resource does not deport the diskgroup as this would not be possible if another node still had filesystems mounted, so the CVMVolDg resource normally just sets activation mode to off for that node.

The way this used to work with SRDF in GCO is that you would create "SupportedActions" on the CVMVolDg resource of "import" and "deport" and this handles deport of diskgroup which is required so that you can do an SDRF role swap.  I think the CVMVolDg action is called by the SRDF agent when it onlines on remote node using cross-cluster communication.

However in 5.1SP1, I see that a new "CVMDeportOnOffline" has been added, so maybe this can be used in stead o the CVMVolDG actions. Note if you use set this attribute to 1, then the diskgroup will only be deported when the CVMVolDg resources offlines on the last node.  It took a while to find CVMVolDg agent definition as it has moved from cfs_admin guide in 5.0 to cfs_install in 5.1 and I tried to look find an SRDF 5.1SP1 doc, but I couldn't find it, so I don't know if this means if it is has been moved elsewhere or the agent has not changed from 5.1 to SP1.

If the SRDF agent still works the way it used to then the installation of the SDRF agent will have created an actions directory in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/CVMVolDG which should contain 3 scripts "deport", "import" and "vxdctlenable" - this being the case, follow the instructions in the SDRF install & config guide which is basically:

haconf -makerw

hatype -modify CVMVolDg SupportedActions import deport vxdctlenable

haconf -dump -makero 

If this is not the case, then you should check 5.1SP1 SRDF guide to see if you are supposed to use the CVMDeportOnOffline attribute, or you could just try setting this to 1.

As you have CVMDeportOnOffline set to zero then I would not expect diskgroup to offline so VCS is doing the right thing (if you have not setup CVMVolDg action scripts)

Mike