cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VxCFS share a volume between RHEL and Solaris

cdr53
Level 2

Hi,

Sorry if my question is a little bit dumb, but I'm looking for a solution in order to share a volume (hosted on a SAN) between hosts running both RHEL (5) and Solaris (11).

Several people recommended lookling at VxFS and especially the VxCFS. The product sheets indicate that both RHEL and Solaris are supported platfroms,  however I'm unable to determine whenever this FS can be used concurently from both OSes ?

So if you have any related information or even betters pointers to a symantec product sheet/use case, I'd really appreciate.

Thanks per advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, this is not possible as all nodes in a cluster must be the same O/S (cluster filesystem is provided using a cluster).

You can get info on SFCFS at http://www.symantec.com/cluster-file-system and you can download manuals (Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System) from https://sort.symantec.com/documents.

I can't find anything that explicity says you can't use different O/S in a single cluster, so it is more the lack that it doesn't say this which means it is not supported as note there are statements for other platfom connectivity, so for GCO the VCS admin guide says in section "Prerequisites for global clusters":

Clusters must be running on the same platform; the operating system versions
can be different. Clusters must be using the same VCS version.

and Solaris SFCFS release notes say:
Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System High Availability supports mixed
cluster environments with Solaris 10 SPARC operating systems as long as all the
nodes in the cluster have the same CPU architecture.

And for VVR the VVR admin guide says;

Ability to replicate data between heterogeneous systems as a result of CDS.
The Primary host could be a different platform from the Secondary host, and
each host would be able to access the data in the CDS format

Using CDS you can share data non-concurrently by deporting diskgroup on one system and importing on another, but note Solaris Sparc and Linux Intel have different file system Endians (different byte orders) and this is to do with the architacture so you would need to use Solaris x64 and Linux on x64 (they use Little Endian) or Solaris and Linux on Sparc (they use Big Endian), otherwise you would need to use to use application-specific byte conversion utilities to interpret the data.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, this is not possible as all nodes in a cluster must be the same O/S (cluster filesystem is provided using a cluster).

You can get info on SFCFS at http://www.symantec.com/cluster-file-system and you can download manuals (Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System) from https://sort.symantec.com/documents.

I can't find anything that explicity says you can't use different O/S in a single cluster, so it is more the lack that it doesn't say this which means it is not supported as note there are statements for other platfom connectivity, so for GCO the VCS admin guide says in section "Prerequisites for global clusters":

Clusters must be running on the same platform; the operating system versions
can be different. Clusters must be using the same VCS version.

and Solaris SFCFS release notes say:
Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System High Availability supports mixed
cluster environments with Solaris 10 SPARC operating systems as long as all the
nodes in the cluster have the same CPU architecture.

And for VVR the VVR admin guide says;

Ability to replicate data between heterogeneous systems as a result of CDS.
The Primary host could be a different platform from the Secondary host, and
each host would be able to access the data in the CDS format

Using CDS you can share data non-concurrently by deporting diskgroup on one system and importing on another, but note Solaris Sparc and Linux Intel have different file system Endians (different byte orders) and this is to do with the architacture so you would need to use Solaris x64 and Linux on x64 (they use Little Endian) or Solaris and Linux on Sparc (they use Big Endian), otherwise you would need to use to use application-specific byte conversion utilities to interpret the data.

Mike

cdr53
Level 2
Thank you very much for a so prompt and precise answer !