cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure CIFS on SFCFS, why need to disable SMF of NFS

youngjohn04
Level 3

In chapter 6 of SFCFS admin's guide for Solaris, Common Internet File System,

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/solaris/productguides/html/sfcfs_admin/ch06s0...

This section is talking about CIFS, configuring samba on CFS. I'm wondering why the NFS service get disabled? Is it necessary?

The following is copied from the document,  3 steps of the total 4 involves NFS.

To keep Samba daemons under VCS control, on all cluster nodes:

1. Set the auto_enable property to false.

# svccfg -s nfs/server setprop "application/auto_enable = false"
  2. Refresh the SMF configuration repository.

# svcadm refresh nfs/server
  3. Disable SMF.

# svcadm disable samba
  4. Run svcs -a | grep -i nfs command and review its output to make sure that SMF for nfsd and mountd is disabled.

# svcs -a | grep -i nfs
    disabled May_29 svc:/network/nfs/server:default

Anyone know this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

Based on the rest of the text, it appears this may be a documentation error ie: the example has not been updated to reflect that it was samba being disabled rather than NFS.

If you were using CNFS in the same cluster then you would need to disable NFS in SMF as well; however if you are only using CIFS it appears disabling samba would be sufficient based on the guidance in the rest of the document.

If you want to confirm it's a documentation error only/it's only samba that needs to be disabled here, please log a support case - then the document will be able to be corrected for future releases and/or the errata can be posted to the Late Breaking News for future reference.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

g_lee
Level 6

Based on the rest of the text, it appears this may be a documentation error ie: the example has not been updated to reflect that it was samba being disabled rather than NFS.

If you were using CNFS in the same cluster then you would need to disable NFS in SMF as well; however if you are only using CIFS it appears disabling samba would be sufficient based on the guidance in the rest of the document.

If you want to confirm it's a documentation error only/it's only samba that needs to be disabled here, please log a support case - then the document will be able to be corrected for future releases and/or the errata can be posted to the Late Breaking News for future reference.

youngjohn04
Level 3

I'm just begin to configure CIFS on SFCFS, not sure if there is any relationship between CIFS and NFS in the configuration procedure, the document give me a confusion.

Thx.

Kimberley
Level 6
Partner

Quick update from the SAMG product team - this has been identified as a documentation error - thanks Grace for identifying it as such, I've awarded you an extra 25 points for 'good sleuthing'. The Documentation team is aware and is correcting it. Thanks again!

Kimberley

~ Community Manager

Kimberley
Level 6
Partner

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that we heard back from Engineering about this and they plan to have this documented in the next release. They suggest:

You can use the following command to disable samba service in SMF:

# svcadm disable network/samba

This disable is persistent across reboot.

Also, the status of samba service can be checked using following command:

# svcs network/samba

STATE          STIME    FMRI

disabled       16:11:53 svc:/network/samba:default