cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert QFS to VxFS

ashleydmonte
Level 2

Hi we are planning to migrate our data to a different storage array. however we are looking to convert the LUN file system from QFS to VxFS. is there a way in which we can do this/ a tool which can be used for the conversion? 

please advise. appreciate your time and patience.

thanks,

Ashley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ashley,

Although we do support the migration of native File Systems to VxFS,  QFS to my knowledge is not on the list of supported source FS types.  Depending on how much data is resident on the file system, you may want to consider a tar pipe.

tar -C /oldirectory -cvpf - . | tar -C /newdirector -xvf -

This will maintain directory and file permissions as well as time stamps I believe.

You will want to make sure there is no I/O to the source directory when this is executed.

Otherwise if the dataset is rather large, the backup and restore option is probably your best bet.

Joe D

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ScottK
Level 5
Employee

Unfortunately, there is not. You'd  probably be looking at a backup/restore.

ashleydmonte
Level 2

thanks Scott. So just that i understand this correctly, what i can do is present a LUN from the new storage array, have it formatted in VxFS format and then then copy the data from the older QFS LUN to this one. This should work right?

thanks once again.

Ashley

ScottK
Level 5
Employee

The copy woud have to operate on a file leve, like a cp - R * command. cpio at the LUN-level wouldn't work.

One caveat I can think of, using copy will change the timestamps. Not sure if that matters in your environment.

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ashley,

Although we do support the migration of native File Systems to VxFS,  QFS to my knowledge is not on the list of supported source FS types.  Depending on how much data is resident on the file system, you may want to consider a tar pipe.

tar -C /oldirectory -cvpf - . | tar -C /newdirector -xvf -

This will maintain directory and file permissions as well as time stamps I believe.

You will want to make sure there is no I/O to the source directory when this is executed.

Otherwise if the dataset is rather large, the backup and restore option is probably your best bet.

Joe D