cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Size not correct

vincentysh
Not applicable

I have a server running solaris 10 and directly connected to a SAN Storage Eternus DX60 storage.

Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0 SP1 is installed.

A 100M LUNs is created on the SAN and it is recogized by DMP. The size shown on "format" command is 83.12M

However, only 51M is shown on Veritas Enterprice Administrator finally

Why there is so much spaced wasted ? How can I minimize it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The default size for the private region in 32MB,so if you created a LUN which was GBs the percentage used would be much less.  The private region is for storing informatin on Volume Manager objects - volumes, plexes, subdisks etc

If you really want such a small LUN then you reinitialise LUN with a smaller region size (this will wipe any data that is on the LUN):

vxdisksetup -i disk_name privlen=length  

The default is normally blocks for VM length specifcation , but you may be able to use K and M suffix for Kbytes and Megabytes.  For a 100MB LUN, a 1MB private region should be more than enough.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The default size for the private region in 32MB,so if you created a LUN which was GBs the percentage used would be much less.  The private region is for storing informatin on Volume Manager objects - volumes, plexes, subdisks etc

If you really want such a small LUN then you reinitialise LUN with a smaller region size (this will wipe any data that is on the LUN):

vxdisksetup -i disk_name privlen=length  

The default is normally blocks for VM length specifcation , but you may be able to use K and M suffix for Kbytes and Megabytes.  For a 100MB LUN, a 1MB private region should be more than enough.

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Agree with Mike, though would like to re-check on why do u need such a small Lun ?

In case you reduce the private region size in multiple luns of a DG, you might land up in running out of space of private region...

Gaurav