cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does vxresize augment existing volumes in order typed for striped vols?

cpap
Level 2
We are finding in our environment that there are many vxvolumes not created in the striped order that we have planned.  Am uncertain as to whether this was at creation of the volume or due to volume augmentations.

If for example, I have a 4 column striped vol which I wish to expand by 8 disks, but maintaining the 4 columns, and I enter

vxresize -g mydg -F vxfs -t homevolresize homevol 10g \ mydg10 mydg11 mydg12 mydg13 mydg14 mydg15 mydg16 mydg17

Should this not create the next 2 stripes in the order I've specified?  Or does volume manager place the underlying disks in an order it best see's fit.  We are finding our volumes are not being placed in a designed order.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

by defauly VxVM will not increase/decrease the number of coulmns, i.e if you have existing 4 col stripe, it will be 4 col only unless you do a relayout of the volume increasing/decreasing the "ncol" value....

For current problem, what VXVM will do is to find out the equal space in 4 disks/8 disks & space will be gradually added to your existing 4 col stripe...

Hope this helps..

Gaurav

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

by defauly VxVM will not increase/decrease the number of coulmns, i.e if you have existing 4 col stripe, it will be 4 col only unless you do a relayout of the volume increasing/decreasing the "ncol" value....

For current problem, what VXVM will do is to find out the equal space in 4 disks/8 disks & space will be gradually added to your existing 4 col stripe...

Hope this helps..

Gaurav

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Notify