cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENABLE READ ONLY FOR AN ENCLOSURE WITH DMP

kwakou
Level 4

Hello,

I have a media server where the disks belonging to a specific enclosure are misbehaving. Their response times are extremely high using vxdmpadm iostat and i can also see from the OS logs that they are faulty.

How can i just disable writes to those disks.

I dont want to to completely disable the enclosure as we have data on it that may be used for restore purposes so we need to keep read access to it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no option to allow only reads from potenially bad luns. You may only disable specific paths or all paths for a lun (vxdmpadm disable path=<pathname>).

Also, you may consider Removing and Replacing the failing Disks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no option to allow only reads from potenially bad luns. You may only disable specific paths or all paths for a lun (vxdmpadm disable path=<pathname>).

Also, you may consider Removing and Replacing the failing Disks

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best you backup the data using a decent backup solution. Keeping information on some faulting disk is not a restoration solution. The day that you'll need the data would probably be the day that those disk finally fail completely.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unmount the filesystem and then mount it as read-only.

If applications and users are supposed to write to the volume/filesystem, be prepared for a flood of complaints and error messages.

Rather log a call with array vendor.

kwakou
Level 4

hi, Great idea, Mariane.

unfortunately we mix different arrays within the same filesystem.

vxdmpadm listenclosure all
ENCLR_NAME        ENCLR_TYPE     ENCLR_SNO      STATUS       ARRAY_TYPE     LUN_COUNT    FIRMWARE
===================================================================================================
ds5100_ds5300-0   DS5100_DS5300-  600A0B8000479814000000004C5C1B60  CONNECTED    A/PF-LSI   10         0730
v_ibm_ds8x001     V_IBM_DS8x00   75WG321              CONNECTED    A/A         1         0001
storwizev70000    StorwizeV7000  0200a0438080XX00     CONNECTED    A/A        87         0000
ibm_ds8x000       IBM_DS8x00     75VF301              CONNECTED    A/A        13         .133
v_ibm_ds8x000     V_IBM_DS8x00   75VF301              CONNECTED    A/A         3         0001

the one i wanted to disabled for writes was the DS5K. the others are fine.

thanks.

kwakou
Level 4

Hello Riaan,

thanks for your good advice.

I will start planning for that from today.