[,q,?] (default: 65536)
VxVM ERROR V-5-2-338
The encapsulation operation failed with the following error:
VxVM vxencap ERROR V-5-2-213
It is not possible to encapsulate disk_0, for the following reason:

Encapsulation requires atleast 0 sectors of unused
space either at the beginning or end of the disk drive.>

Hit RETURN to continue.

I'm running Solaris (SPARC) 10 U6, on a Sun T5140, with Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0MP3RP1. No errors during install, and I've NEVER had an issue doing this. I attempt to encapsulate using the 'vxdiskadm' command menu. It seems to have an issue with carving out the required space from SWAP. I also tried resizing SWAP manually through 'format', but it still won't encapsulate. ARGGGGGGGH!
2 REPLIES 2

springer
Level 4

tHi .. can u do following and show pls echo|format and show disk in question

then prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/cxxxxxx ( disk in question)

BradMc
Level 3

This will take a little time to reproduce and post the results of what you want to see.

I needed the server built and functional, so I ended up installing 5.0MP1 on a fresh install of Solaris 10-U6, then encapsulating the root disk (which worked perfectly), then installing MP3, and MP3RP1 on top of the already encapsulated root disk.  This seemed to work fine.

In my two days of troubleshooting this issue I did clean installs of Solaris 10-U6, with just MP3, and then, again, MP3 with RP1.  I could not encapsulate the root disk with either.  Same error each time.  One time I even manually modified the size of swap to free up 5 cylinders of space, but it still wouldn't encapsulate.

This certainly appears to be a bug in MP3, and MP3RP1.  I'll post the results of 'prtvtoc' later.