cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation Key for Storage Foundation and HA Solutions, RHEL4 for 32-bit, v4.1

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Anyone who kknows where can I get a temp file for Storage Foundation?

Already contacted customer care and they only refer me to download the trialware but I still need a temp file.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

Mjahtetn,

According to the following article, a key for 5.0 should NOT be backward compatible with 4.1:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/faqs-and-myths-storage-foundation-keys

-------
Compatibility between Keys and Software (Binary) Versions

[...] older keys can be used with newer software versions, but new keys cannot generally be used with older software versions. There are two caveats.

[...]
Second, a new key may sometimes unlock an old version, but this is neither by intent nor by design. Do not rely on it to work, even if you have seen it work in the past. A full explanation of why it sometimes works would be lengthy, but it centers on adding new features.
-------

Symantec/your account representative would be the best person to contact regarding this issue, as they would also be best placed to provide a valid key for your version (if this is still possible)

regards,
Grace

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

What do you mean by  a temp file ?

If you are refering to a temporary evaluation key, it is quite difficult for 4.1 now since 4.1 is obsolete product now...

You can try using new 5.1 product which has keyless installation which will give you 60 days of default evaluation period...

you can download trialware from

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/downloads/index.jsp

expand the storage section in bottom & select the product you want to install..

Gaurav

Mjahtetn
Level 6

The product name is  Storage Foundation and HA Solutions, RHEL4 for 32-bit, v4.1 and yes, do you have an evaluation key for this product?

Thanks in advance

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I don't have any evaluation key & neither I am or any other person (other than symantec authorized sales/partners ) are authotrized to re-distribute that...

what you can get is eval keys for 5.0 (from sales) or to use 5.1 keyless product as 4.1 is obsolete.

Gaurav

Mjahtetn
Level 6

obsolete, so meaning there is really no available temp key or can I call the Sales instead?

Is 5.0 backwards compatible to 4.1?

Thanks

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

If you call for sales for 4.1 key you won't get it.... but yes 5.0 keys are backwards compatible to 4.1 ....  leaving out extra features, I believe 5.0 keys will work with 4.1..

Gaurav

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems 4.1 is still available on the Trialware URL that Gaurav posted above:

Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions, v4.1

• Linux 4.1 mp4 (RHEL4, RHEL5, SLES9, SLES10)

To activate these binaries, you will need to enter your valid product license key. If you do not have a key, you will need either an evaluation key or valid product license key.

Evaluation Keys: Please contact your sales representative or channel partner to receive your 60 day evaluation key.

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Let me contact our channel partner first. Can you also make sure that 5.0 is backwards compatible so I have an option, or I should also contact sales for that?

thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

4.1 was the last version to support 32-bit Linux...

g_lee
Level 6

Mjahtetn,

According to the following article, a key for 5.0 should NOT be backward compatible with 4.1:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/faqs-and-myths-storage-foundation-keys

-------
Compatibility between Keys and Software (Binary) Versions

[...] older keys can be used with newer software versions, but new keys cannot generally be used with older software versions. There are two caveats.

[...]
Second, a new key may sometimes unlock an old version, but this is neither by intent nor by design. Do not rely on it to work, even if you have seen it work in the past. A full explanation of why it sometimes works would be lengthy, but it centers on adding new features.
-------

Symantec/your account representative would be the best person to contact regarding this issue, as they would also be best placed to provide a valid key for your version (if this is still possible)

regards,
Grace

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the link. really appreciate it.

Let me consult my sales rep then.