cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fdisk or Gparted for Vxfs on RedHat?

WeedSupport
Level 3
This is the first time i've used Vertias Storage Foundation so excuse the question.  
I'm on version 5.1
Before i go an format a LUN i've presented to my created with Vxfs i need to run Fdisk or parted  on the volume before the device shows the status as being online, it's showed the status as "error" before I ran Fdisk. after doing Fdisk the volume changed to online...
I'd now like to move this into production and assign some large Luns 4-16TB to my system.
Should i use Fdisk and create a bunch of 2TB partitions and then join them all together as a big disk group, or should i just make 1 big partition with parted?

Is there a better way to do this that i'm missing so far?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mightknowsometh
Level 3
Employee Certified

Sounds like you might be from a Linux background ....

Volume Manager is like LVM (just better)....

Physical Volumes are like disks initialized by volume manager (you will need some label on the disk before you run vxdisksetup)
From the Physical Volumes, you create DiskGroups (like Volume Groups)

And from this, you create Volumes (like logical volumes)....

Once you get a volume, you will get a device file for this volume (/dev/vx/(r)dsk/VG_NAME/VOLUME_NAME) which you can use as you wish ... (put a new filesystem on there or use as raw)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mightknowsometh
Level 3
Employee Certified

Sounds like you might be from a Linux background ....

Volume Manager is like LVM (just better)....

Physical Volumes are like disks initialized by volume manager (you will need some label on the disk before you run vxdisksetup)
From the Physical Volumes, you create DiskGroups (like Volume Groups)

And from this, you create Volumes (like logical volumes)....

Once you get a volume, you will get a device file for this volume (/dev/vx/(r)dsk/VG_NAME/VOLUME_NAME) which you can use as you wish ... (put a new filesystem on there or use as raw)